• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to Purchase a Pea Coat -- Schott or Sterlingwear?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Homme - Definitely would appreciate some pictures. Do you have wide shoulders?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image021iq9.jpg

I can fit a shirt + sweater underneath.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
homme that looks very nice! i may have to go down to that surplus store in seattle... although without a hint of a shirt sticking out the top you remind me of a flasher/streaker.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Did you buy Short or Regular?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im 5'9 or so. I bought a regular - the sleeves on the short would have been too short. I'd buy a regular to ensure the sleeves are ok, then shorten the body of the coat if you want it shorter.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
Im 5'9 or so. I bought a regular - the sleeves on the short would have been too short. I'd buy a regular to ensure the sleeves are ok, then shorten the body of the coat if you want it shorter.

I was worried about the same. What's your sleeve size?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves on this coat measure 18 inches from armpit to hem.

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
homme that looks very nice! i may have to go down to that surplus store in seattle... although without a hint of a shirt sticking out the top you remind me of a flasher/streaker.

let us know how they fit!

Thorn Proof

Reaction score
Originally Posted by padronlover
LOL unbridled_id and Homme are exactly what i'm talking about! the ever so contradicting advices...

Homme, I would love to see some pics of how it fits.

J, thanks for the heads up but I'm currently in the east coast
frown.gif

Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
I've done several fairly extensive searches, but am still finding myself wavering between the two.

One of the major benefits of Schott is that they offer their peacoats in navy. Sterlingwear forces you to pick between black and light grey.

There are some posters who have said that Sterlingwear is of higher quality, but there are so few posts that directly compare the two I'm not sure a conclusion can be drawn.

What's your experience with the two and which one would you pick?

FYI, I am 5'8" with a 38 chest and a slim waist. I don't want the pea coat to go too far past my waist because it'll make me look short. Going by what I've read, I should order one size down (36 Short) for Sterlingwear. Schott apparently runs much truer to size, so a 38 Regular should be fine.

Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Ralph has one this year on Ralphlauren.com. Looks pretty nice.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thorn Proof
Ralph has one this year on Ralphlauren.com. Looks pretty nice.

How's the quality on these? Made by Corneliani, hopefully?

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this up...I got a H&M peacoat yesterday in Medium that fit me very nicely. It was only $79 and the quality seemed pretty damn good, 80% wool and the jacket had a substantial weight to it. I still have the Sterlingwear coming in size 40, I'll compare them both in fit and quality.

I am 6'0 185lbs with a size 42 chest. I was quite surprised that a Medium was my size for the H&M peacoat, I guess not everything they make is slim by default.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion Sterlingwear peacoats is that you can either buy your true size for a normal fit or size down one for a slim fit. It's really not more complicated than that. I have one in my actual chest size and I like it, but I could fit in a smaller one.

Do not size up. It's totally unnecessary and I don't see how that could look good. I have no idea why Sterlingwear suggests it on their website.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
hi guys, first post here!

after reading up several threads on sterlingwear peacoats, i decided to follow the common method of ordering 1 size less than your chest measured when inhaling.

ended up with a size 34R and my chest measures exactly 36" while inhaled.

my height is 173cm(5.67 ft) and i weigh 61kg (134pounds), and this is how the coat fits me:

pcoat.jpg

really happy with the construction of the coat and the overall fit! if anyone needs exact measurements on the coat, PM and i'll be glad to help out.

thanks to all who helped with sterlingwear sizing issues previously
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads