• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking to get AEs, which do i choose?

Deltemis

Reaction score
Since amazon's shoe sale is still running I'm looking at getting either the larchmont, strand, sanford, or park/fifth aves since those are in my price range. I'm looking for a shoe that would work for job interviews and formal for even weddings but I don't know which style fits for which occasion. wouldn't hurt to have one I can wear informally as well

At the moment I'm thinking of picking up two pairs and i'm leaning towards getting black and a dark brown since my only suit currently is navy and I won't be getting charcoal and light gray for several more months

please advise, I don't know what constitutes formal or non seeing as how there are so many different looks to oxfords

i'm also wondering, since these will be my first pair, should i venture into used shoes and look on ebay or simply buy a new pair?

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is your first pair of AE, I'd recommend buying from the Amazon sale over eBay since you can return them if you have fit issues. Have you tried on AE shoes before? Do you know your size? If this is your first venture into better quality shoes, you may be surprised to find your shoe size is a half to whole size smaller than your sneaker size. One big advantage of AE is their selection of widths so you can get a wider or narrower shoe to get the best fit.

Park Ave in black and Strand in walnut are two good places to start if you're looking for 2 pairs.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
park ave is kinda ugly with that short cap toe, but its a solid formal shoe.

Strands in brown burnished would be my other recommendation given that you will only have 2 pairs of proper shoes. I feel like walnut should come later.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with something a little more slim and sleek than the default Park Ave.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to recommend the black Sanford and the brown Strand. I think those would fit most of you needs.

Some folks don't like bluchers with suits (the Sanford), but I don't have a problem with that. If you don't want to wear a blucher with suit, my second recommendation in black is the Fifth Avenue - I like the little bit of perforation on the cap.

Chris

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
park ave is kinda ugly with that short cap toe, but its a solid formal shoe.
Strands in brown burnished would be my other recommendation given that you will only have 2 pairs of proper shoes. I feel like walnut should come later.
Agreed on the walnut Strand. A dark brown dress shoe is very versatile and will go great with your navy suit. The brown gives the shoe some character while still remaining somewhat formal.

EMLopez

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as him except my suit is charcoal. Am I stuck with a black shoe or can I wear the brown burnished strand with a charcoal suit?

chrisjr

Reaction score
Sanford over Larchmont? Larchmont looks sleeker in the photos.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as him except my suit is charcoal. Am I stuck with a black shoe or can I wear the brown burnished strand with a charcoal suit?

If it is your first dress shoe and your suit is charcoal, I would get black now and add the brown shoe next. You will need a nice black dress shoe for interviews/work/business/weddings/etc.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merlot/burgundy looks good with charcoal.

Deltemis

Reaction score
well i'll be heading to a few stores and sizing myself for their different lasts sometimes tomorrow in order to find my right size but at the moment it looks like i'll be picking up a black sanford and if my size is still available brown strands, as much as i like the walnut color, i'll have to wait until i have something like a light gray suit, thanks for the input everyone

@vinny amazon is currently doing a sale of 20 off 100 or 50 off 200 for apparently shoe and clothing that are shipped and sold by amazon but I've only bothered to look for AE. compared to AE's own actual prices there are some on amazon that are cheaper depending on size but there are some on AE's site that are cheaper

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads