1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a quality gents umbrella

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stever174, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ruben

ruben Senior member

Just a though, but is ebay any good for used umbrellas?

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Just a though, but is ebay any good for used umbrellas?

I've purchased two in the past. Both ended up being a nightmare. Small holes in the canopy, bent arms etc. I'd steer well clear unless it's going for a song.

3. Lucy J

Lucy J Senior member

I hope you had a huge umbrella last night Lucy if you had to go out in that rain - it was absolutely torrential as I was walking home from the station, but my Brigg golfer kept me pretty dry. Its not been tested by the wind yet, but Im sure there will be times when I need to hang on to it!

Hi Steve - Friday was one of those few days when I had to close my Brigg golfer because of the wind. I was working in Brighton and went for lunch at Al Fresco on the seafront with another girl from the office. Both our umbrellas were struggling with the stormy wind, and when hers blew out we both sheltered under the Brigg. About 200 yards short of the restaurant the wind and rain got crazy and were really battering the Brigg so I decided I had to close it in case it got blown out of control. We ran the last 150 yards or so to get out of the storm as quickly as possible!! Still wet and windy when we headed back to the office but the wind was behind us so it wasnt so difficult and the Brigg sheltered us both just fine.

4. Stever174

Stever174 Active Member

Hi Steve - Friday was one of those few days when I had to close my Brigg golfer because of the wind. I was working in Brighton and went for lunch at Al Fresco on the seafront with another girl from the office. Both our umbrellas were struggling with the stormy wind, and when hers blew out we both sheltered under the Brigg. About 200 yards short of the restaurant the wind and rain got crazy and were really battering the Brigg so I decided I had to close it in case it got blown out of control. We ran the last 150 yards or so to get out of the storm as quickly as possible!! Still wet and windy when we headed back to the office but the wind was behind us so it wasnt so difficult and the Brigg sheltered us both just fine.

Just seen your message about Friday 1 October - it was pretty wild during the day wasnt it - I was up in London and it was fairly blowy even there but I was in meetings so didnt really have to brave it! My brigg golfer has seen a bit more wind over the last couple of weeks - I had to angle it against the rain one day last week but it feels really sturdy so I would think it will take a really strong wind to put it at any sort of risk..... Hang on tight if we get more gusty days!

5. Lucy J

Lucy J Senior member

Just seen your message about Friday 1 October - it was pretty wild during the day wasnt it - I was up in London and it was fairly blowy even there but I was in meetings so didnt really have to brave it! My brigg golfer has seen a bit more wind over the last couple of weeks - I had to angle it against the rain one day last week but it feels really sturdy so I would think it will take a really strong wind to put it at any sort of risk..... Hang on tight if we get more gusty days!

I think I might get blown away when I leave the office in Brighton tonight - VERY wet and windy here and lots of pedestrians are really struggling to control their umbrellas - dont know if even my Brigg golf umbrella will handle this - thank goodness I have a long mac and knee boots, plus my rainhat in case the brolly needs to be put down!! Hope its calmed down when you have to walk home from the station later...

6. sairiya

sairiya Member

7. perk252

perk252 Active Member

I'd recommend James Smith as well. Apart from the great selection and service, it's one of those fantastic traditional shops that I try to frequent because if it goes out of business, I don't want it to be my fault! Just a week ago, I was walking by it with an Italian colleague of mine who told me that as a kid in Italy that shop was on the cover of his English textbook!

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I think I might get blown away when I leave the office in Brighton tonight - VERY wet and windy here and lots of pedestrians are really struggling to control their umbrellas - dont know if even my Brigg golf umbrella will handle this - thank goodness I have a long mac and knee boots, plus my rainhat in case the brolly needs to be put down!! Hope its calmed down when you have to walk home from the station later...
    My Brigg handled high winds and heavy rain earlier today. Yeah! [​IMG]

9. Jeff Naylor

Jeff Naylor Senior member

You went out in that?

10. Lucy J

Lucy J Senior member

Where are you Jay Jay - here on the south coast of england we can get really wild weather from time to time - on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say that yesterday was a seven or maybe an eight. I have a 20 minute walk home from the office and the Brigg golfer just about survived, although I was hanging on to it tightly with both hands - I guess we had winds gusting to about 40mph - definitely a gale.

11. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Someone mentioned there are only 3 handmade umbrella makers left,

Maglia, Talarico, who is the third one? Briggs? Or it outsources as well?

Surely Madeleine Gely. That's the one I have, their travel model (removable tip and handle so you can fit it in your luggage). I think they were bought by or renamed to "Alexandra Sojfer".

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

You went out in that?
    Didn't have a choice, unfortunately. [​IMG]

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Where are you Jay Jay - here on the south coast of england we can get really wild weather from time to time - on a scale of 1 to 10 I would say that yesterday was a seven or maybe an eight. I have a 20 minute walk home from the office and the Brigg golfer just about survived, although I was hanging on to it tightly with both hands - I guess we had winds gusting to about 40mph - definitely a gale.
    Indianapolis. This sort of weather occurs infrequently in these parts.

14. max b

max b Senior member

My favourite one is Francesco Maglia. Small Italian factory all made by hand.

15. caldervale

caldervale Well-Known Member

+1 for J. Smith - I've had mine for a number of years and it's extremely sturdy.

16. Stever174

Stever174 Active Member

So how did your Brigg golfer do on Monday morning Lucy? Horrendous wind and rain as I was walking to the station. I opened my Brigg golfer when I left the house but was forced to close it within about 200-300 yards as the wind was threatening to blow it completely out of control. I had a briefcase with me and so only had one hand to try to control the umbrella, which was impossible in those winds - I would think the gusts were 40-50mph. My long drizabone kept most of me relatively dry though! My near neighbour, who was going for the same train, didnt do any better. She was using one of those plastic dome umbrellas but the wind just blew it completely out of shape and it finished up in the rubbish bin at the station (along with quite a few other umbrellas). So I got wet but at least my Brigg survived for another day!

17. Lucy J

Lucy J Senior member

So how did your Brigg golfer do on Monday morning Lucy? Horrendous wind and rain as I was walking to the station. I opened my Brigg golfer when I left the house but was forced to close it within about 200-300 yards as the wind was threatening to blow it completely out of control. I had a briefcase with me and so only had one hand to try to control the umbrella, which was impossible in those winds - I would think the gusts were 40-50mph. My long drizabone kept most of me relatively dry though! My near neighbour, who was going for the same train, didnt do any better. She was using one of those plastic dome umbrellas but the wind just blew it completely out of shape and it finished up in the rubbish bin at the station (along with quite a few other umbrellas). So I got wet but at least my Brigg survived for another day!

I didnt dare use either of my Briggs on Monday or Thursday mornings last week - they might have survived but I wasnt going to risk them in that sort of wind and rain. If anything I think Thursday was even worse than Monday! On Monday I did take my stormshield golf umbrella with me but it was quite badly damaged by the constant gusts (although it is still useable and in my office as a spare brolly in an emergency). On Thursday I took a golf umbrella that I had taken home from the office on Wednesday night - we get quite a lot of stuff like that given to us as we are in the PR business - and that was completely ruined on the walk to the office on Thursday morning, so the week pretty much cost me two umbrellas. The real problem is that our office is in one of the sidestreets off the seafront and the wind really howls down there when its a bad day - it was an expensive week in umbrella terms for all the girls in the office - we all lost at least one umbrella to the weather!

18. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am very happy with my James Smith, which I believe is better than an older Brigg that broke. Pretty sure my "Smith" is actually a Talarico.

19. entrero

entrero Senior member

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Pics!

There are pics in DocHolliday's thread. It's not that exciting, black nylon canopy, solid stick in ash.