• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking to build knowledge on how to raise audience for an e-commerce shop

I Zhekov

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to raise the brand awareness and traffic for a StartUp online shop. In order to be more effective I feel that i have some knowledge gaps to fill on the subject.

Could you please recommend a good reading, source or a course that helped you gather insights in the field?

Thank you!

v0rtex

Reaction score
Here's a knowledge-dump of things I've learned being on the periphery of a number of successful digital marketing campaigns at various agencies:

Pay Per Click (PPC) is a waste of money unless you're spending enough, in the right area, to make an impact. Spending $100 a month even on the right keywords is barely worth the effort, spending $10k a month on the wrong keywords is also a waste.

What are you selling? Your marketing strategy will be different depending on what you are selling. Utility/commodity goods = highly competitive, Luxury goods = better sold via PR/etc to build up brand awareness. Before you spend time/money on any kind of promotion, make sure you understand what it is you are selling - what's your unique selling point? Why would I buy from you? What are the benefits of your offering?

You need to find a niche to compete in that has little competition but a lot of need. Can use keyword research to try to find out what these are. eg: Selling "hats" is hugely competitive and will need $mm to break into. Selling "atlanta georgia mma baseball caps" is probably too specific. Selling "mma baseball caps" is (probably) a small-ish market with no major players so you can create a competitive business in that niche for little startup cost.

You can use old-school PR tactics to reach out to influential people in your market and get them to write about you (bloggers, magazines, etc), participate in forums like Styleforum. Buying ad space on niche sites can also be good value.

Always be mindful of your cost per customer acquisition and make sure it's lower than the lifetime value of that customer, or you are losing money and will go broke. Measure as much data as you possibly can, even if you don't know how to analyze it now, it may become useful later on.

Once you have customers, hold onto them - it's always far cheaper to sell to existing customers than to acquire new ones. Focus on maximizing the conversion rate of your site (the number of sales vs the number of visitors) and upsell opportunities (related products, accessories, etc).

Encourage users to tell their friends ("invite a friend, get 20% discount" etc), contests on social media work well for some products ("share a pic of you wearing our shoes to win a prize") and not well for others ("tell your friends about your purchase of hot sex lube...").

Plan on hiring someone to manage this stuff full time, whether an individual or an agency, as it's very time consuming or expensive to do it well. Use your time now while you're small, and pay for someone to do it later so you can focus on growing the business in other ways.

Not sure of any all-in-one courses for this stuff, but Google has a good SEO starter guide on the technical side of things (https://www.google.com/search?q=google+seo+starter+guide)

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.