• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to adopt modernized 1920's style.. Help please..

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I have not worried about style at all until now(22 yrs old).. I've decided that I like the 1920's style with gatsby/newsboy hats, etc. I would like it modernized rather than walking around looking like an old movie character or something.. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, it's a look/style that I admire a lot. That said, I don't think you can incorporate everything from that era into your current day wardrobe without the result looking like a costume. This is specially true because you're 22. Perhaps just start with a newsboy cap and slowly add an element at a time. I trust you'll know when you have reached the point of saturation.

On the other hand, my father could get away with wearing head to toe clothes from that period today (he doesn't) simply because he is an older gentleman who was actually around back then. In the end, it's just clothes, have fun with it.

MaxJones

Reaction score
Good luck with that, I wish everyone would make a conscious effort to emulate some of many interesting looks that that interesting decade produced. It shouldn't really be all that difficult, as much of the 20's style is still with us in a relatively unchanged form.
Check out this digitized Apparel Arts from the 1934. I'd pick up a vintage watch from eBay as well, they're a steal, IMO. I'd also look into a period haircut and some old-school styling products. The cool thing IMO is that you could do this all subtly enough to barely raise an eyebrow if you do it well.
Have fun and post some picks.

mmhollis

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get a good newsboy cap? Secondly, I always have come at a loss when it comes to shoes. What shoes would be good to wear for this look?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1920s -- that decade is almost 100 years ago.

In 1925, do you think any young men decided they wanted to dress like it was 1840?

I do. Tippecanoe and Tyler Too!

Seriously I think the idea is not bad but it's half-baked & with clothes it's always about the execution of the idea anyway. "In theory" it might work but you'll need to find and build around a few things that work in practice.

This is why the vintage wristwatch idea is a really good one. If you can't make a classic Hamilton work, you may never succeed with your homage to the ancients.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a hats thread recently. Do a search.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
The 1920s -- that decade is almost 100 years ago.

In 1925, do you think any young men decided they wanted to dress like it was 1840?

I think this retromania is a totally modern phenomenon. It is almost unprecedented in the history of men's wear. That said, the Aesthetic Movement of Oscar Wilde et al definitely anticipated things, but he did not take it to quite the extent that you see on the internet today. The internet certainly makes this sort of thing possible, whereas the slowness of the spread of independent information on dress may have hampered Oscar Wilde's historical revivalist ideas.

BTW the London Lounge has very good essays:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

For those of you I can tempt into looking at Edwardian fashion there is this thread:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=8206

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads