• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking the perfect Polo-style shirt

vikingmd

Reaction score
First of all I have searched and unfortunately the inclusion of Polo in the search string completely makes the results unhelpful. So onto to the question:

I'm looking for a short sleeve polo with hemmed sleeves (no elastic arm hole), a short placket with either 1 or no buttons, smooth finish (mercerized cotton or similar not pique), slim cut and no chest embelishment (no logo or pocket).

To top it off I'd like it to be less than $100 and preferably less than $80. I tried on one that fit my description made for Zegna sport but it cost $235 which is outrageous for that type of shirt.

Hot Pockets

Reaction score
I really like the Lands' End trim fit polos (size small for me). You can get hemmed instead of banded, but they are not mercerized and have two buttons, so that doesn't exactly fit your criteria. They are nicer than the Kohl's/Target polos, and are only $20-25, so they suit my purposes to have a fleet of solid knockaround polos that still look nice.

vikingmd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hot Pockets
I really like the Lands' End trim fit polos (size small for me). You can get hemmed instead of banded, but they are not mercerized and have two buttons, so that doesn't exactly fit your criteria. They are nicer than the Kohl's/Target polos, and are only $20-25, so they suit my purposes to have a fleet of solid knockaround polos that still look nice.

Do you have a fit pic?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a ton of them in every color imaginable on Saturday at Rugged Wearhouse for $2-3 each. A steal at that price.

vikingmd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I saw a ton of them in every color imaginable on Saturday at Rugged Wearhouse for $2-3 each. A steal at that price.

What's rugged wearhouse?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like TJ Maxx or Marshalls but they mostly have urbanwear. The did have a few racks of the Lands' End stuff though. Lots of tees and polos. I just went in with my girlfriend, so I wasn't shopping and didn't look at sizes.

Hot Pockets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vikingmd
Do you have a fit pic?

Here ya go. Hey, I guess this is my first WAYWT pic also.

waywt_031108.jpg

Lands' End Polo
Levi's 514s
Chucks

lands_end_polo_close.jpg

Closeup of Lands' End Polo

vikingmd

Reaction score
I have tried them and they are reasonably priced but the super long placket looks too trendy on me.

Dave Walker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Like TJ Maxx or Marshalls but they mostly have urbanwear. The did have a few racks of the Lands' End stuff though. Lots of tees and polos. I just went in with my girlfriend, so I wasn't shopping and didn't look at sizes.

In the US, is it TJ Maxx the equivalent of TK Maxx in the UK - cheap brands?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
I dunno if it's ALL cheap brands.

I've seen gucci, zegna, varvatos, ed hardy, borelli, kiton, and brioni
at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. And not the crazy color ones either.

But as far as the polo shirt goes.

The bobby jones line of polos has such smooth cotton and have a more
athletic cut. Dunno if you prefer that.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uk tk maxx = usa tj maxx/usa marshall's = canada winners
and it's all owned by the same company

as stated above, i've seen some high end brands at these places as well on deep discount, it's simply hit and miss

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this thread, but does anyone know where I can find a polo just like the AA 2412 Fine Jersey Short Sleeve Leisure Shirt, but without the chest pocket (and perhaps without the really long hem)? Love the feel and fit... just not that pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads