• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking nice-ish in summer heat

Oxnard

Reaction score
I live in North Carolina so, between June and August it is so hot that, when combined with high humidity, it becomes unbearable to even try and wear jeans or even heavy pants. I cannot stand being badly overheated myself, so for a few months I basically have to wear shorts, a short sleeve shirt/polo/t-shirts, and shoes without socks(quoddies) or tennis shoes with loafer socks (CP achilles). Last year I got a lot of use out of some linen shorts that I got at banana republic for $30, and also my Engineered Garments popover Button-Down, which I hope to get another of this year. Also picked up some "lightweight" khaki pants from jcrew. Spring is nice, but I honestly cannot stand the overbearing heat of summer here
musicboohoo[1].gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm moving to Asheville in a few weeks. It's cooler there, isn't it, in the foothills?

blackdarkeye

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else does this, but i tend to wear looser clothers in the summer than i do in the winter, it just feels better, especially of you sweat a lot.

BTW god damn cant wait for summer, this winter has been terrible, i mean come on its almost march and were still in the low thirties here?

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm moving to Asheville in a few weeks. It's cooler there, isn't it, in the foothills?

Asheville, being in the mountains and all, is much nicer in the spring and summer, probably 10-15 degrees cooler than where I live in Chapel Hill. Overall, Asheville is a pretty nice place to live.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Asheville, being in the mountains and all, is much nicer in the spring and summer, probably 10-15 degrees cooler than where I live in Chapel Hill. Overall, Asheville is a pretty nice place to live.

So not only cooler but also groovier.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Cool, groovy AND just down the road from Dollyworld, isn't it?

Dollyworld? I had no idea until now.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
***** ass! The JCrew site doesn't even show you the shape of their shirts. Fail.

I want a button up thats slim-ish, on the cheaper side and with light colors (narrow stripes would be good) but without looking like an OC bro.

This is gonna be one helluva clothes hunt.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap stuff...

Shades of Greige is priced pretty reasonably, I don't really like the styling on a lot of the pieces with the epaulets and button-pockets and all that military inspired ****, but I guess a lot of people like it, if you don't mind it their shirts are decently made, pretty reasonable and fit very very well. Actually I'm pretty sure the measurements for their F/W 08 button downs were nearly the (exact? someone verify please) same as the BOO measurements, the fit isn't the same but it's pretty close. They sort of have a bad rap on this forum because some members have had mixed results with previous collections, I think the quality has improved a bit but I haven't seen any of the S/S 09 stuff in person.

I don't really have any experience with H&M but I think their shirts fit well enough and certainly are cheap. I personally like Club Monaco a lot, ***** are nice and minimal, hold up well and fit better than J Crew and can commonly be found on sale for between thirty and fifty bucks.

If you can find them on sale, RL tailored fit shirts are cut pretty decently.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesse, you can just pick up any gap shirt and take it to a tailor.

Me, i'll be in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers this summer. I can't wait.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Eason,

What kind of shoes would go with that getup besides flip-flops? I really like BoA topsiders but wonder how that would go over. I think I could possibly pull off the shorts. You know what I look like (but think +10 pounds more muscle that when u last saw me).

I think light colored boat shoes or some kind of loafer? I have some JV loafers I've worn like one time, I should try them.

3stylelife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Summer heat is great because it forces you to do back to basics; nice tee or shirt, well-fitting pants/shorts and maybe some accessories.

Exactly. Doing more with less is the way to beat the heat. Unique basics, especially ones that fit well, and accessories (which typically add no heat to the outfit) are spot on.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try some of this out. Stupid summer...

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm headed to Florida in about a month. I don't have **** for hot weather clothes except for a few things I bought last year that all seem just a little...off. I'm coming to the conclusion that I just can't do summer and I should just stick to the northern latitudes forever. I have a wish list that includes some dark brown leather topsiders, so try to imagine the pants being worn with those rather than the Desert Boots (unless the boots look good...****, I don't know). These are J.Crew in 34". I think they need to be tapered. The waist is about an inch too big. I'm thinking of getting some solid or pinstripe J. Crew club shorts in 33" and tossing these.
10e4y9k.jpg
H&M cotton/linen in white and black. About an inch too long I think. And they look so damn wide below the knee (check the last picture...they look bootcut). I could get these fixed but it might cost more than the cost of the pants. Are linen pants supposed to fit like this? I've worn them with cap-toes, but it looked weird with how wide the legs were. I also wore them to the beach last year rolled up and barefoot, which was the only point in the night where I didn't feel like a total asshole.
er0dab.jpg
1z2hu6d.jpg
10p674l.jpg
****...help me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads