• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking good without weights

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^So much BS. If the OP doesn't want to lift, let him.

To the OP. Yes it's possible. Eating less and more healthy will go along way. At my heaviest I've weighed 105 KG (231 lb). I was 23, I think. With swimming less than a mile a day, three to four times a week I came down to my weight of when I was 18 only (a little) more ripped (85 Kg/187 lb). This took about 6-8 month. Can't recall precisely.

If I would do it again I probably would mix it up a bit with running, cycling, rowing and such.

It wasn't hard. It just took some time. If you're older, it probably will take a bit longer. Good luck with that.

turbozed

Reaction score
Why is it "so much BS?" It was a suggestion to look at weightlifting differently. Obviously it is a possibility because it worked for me. If not, it's still a suggestion and doesn't hurt any.

So why would you say "so much BS?" How the **** do you know what OP wants or doesn't want? Let him decide what to do with the information.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Everything should be done with mediocrity in mind except weightlifting.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Why is it "so much BS?" It was a suggestion to look at weightlifting differently. Obviously it is a possibility because it worked for me. If not, it's still a suggestion and doesn't hurt any. So why would you say "so much BS?" How the **** do you know what OP wants or doesn't want? Let him decide what to do with the information.
Because he told us. But that's neither here nor there. I wasn't referring to you. Up to your last post I thought you were pretty nuanced in your advice. I was trying to lift my comment to refer to higher up posts. Although to be honest, I didn't count the '^'s to point to a specific one. So to sum it up. I didn't mean to diss you. Just some others. Sorry to make you feel bad or mad even....

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Illuminate07
Yeah, Bikram yoga is INCREDIBLE for fat loss (not weight loss, there's a diff). I started Bikrams almost 3 months ago and now I have abs when I wasn't really even close by just going to the gym (though I was fit before starting). I don't go 5 days a week though, only 2, the rest of the days are gym days.

I had a personal trainer in the gym for 5 months and lifted weights both on machines and free weights. Did my sit-ups, abdominal machines, etc. No carbohydrates at night. My body changed, but I got wider and still had a little body fat. When I started to practice Bikram Yoga, within 6 weeks, I achieved the body I wanted. I think the key is that in Bikram Yoga, it's a full 90 minute of doing the 26 postures that requires constant contraction of the abdominal area. In addition to doing those lateral rotations that toned up my oblique muscles. I go to the gym about once a week when I can't make it to yoga class or too cold to swim outdoors.

Illuminate07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
I had a personal trainer in the gym for 5 months and lifted weights both on machines and free weights. Did my sit-ups, abdominal machines, etc. No carbohydrates at night. My body changed, but I got wider and still had a little body fat. When I started to practice Bikram Yoga, within 6 weeks, I achieved the body I wanted. I think the key is that in Bikram Yoga, it's a full 90 minute of doing the 26 postures that requires constant contraction of the abdominal area. In addition to doing those lateral rotations that toned up my oblique muscles. I go to the gym about once a week when I can't make it to yoga class or too cold to swim outdoors.

nah, I don't think it's about the ab work, because my own ab routine is much better in terms of strength building, and even if you had muscle under there, it doesn't show under fat. It could be a few things such as water loss through sweat and better hydration of yourself, the constantly high heart rate (constant change of postures), and not eating 2 to 3 hours before doing yoga (you will start using your fat energy cells pretty quickly unless you eat a massive meal before).

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Illuminate07
nah, I don't think it's about the ab work, because my own ab routine is much better in terms of strength building, and even if you had muscle under there, it doesn't show under fat. It could be a few things such as water loss through sweat and better hydration of yourself, the constantly high heart rate (constant change of postures), and not eating 2 to 3 hours before doing yoga (you will start using your fat energy cells pretty quickly unless you eat a massive meal before).

Good point.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Because he told us. But that's neither here nor there. I wasn't referring to you. Up to your last post I thought you were pretty nuanced in your advice. I was trying to lift my comment to refer to higher up posts. Although to be honest, I didn't count the '^'s to point to a specific one. So to sum it up. I didn't mean to diss you. Just some others. Sorry to make you feel bad or mad even....

It's alright. I was just confused as to what part of my reply was so outrageous as to be considered BS, since it was a personal experience. No worries.

But yeah, a couple months ago I would've told you that 'going to the gym' was boring too. That was mostly a factor of my routine though. In any case, thanks for the measured explanatory reply.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS

He also told us that he has neither the desire nor the motivation for rigorous dieting.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
It's alright. I was just confused as to what part of my reply was so outrageous as to be considered BS, since it was a personal experience. No worries.

But yeah, a couple months ago I would've told you that 'going to the gym' was boring too. That was mostly a factor of my routine though. In any case, thanks for the measured explanatory reply.

No problem.

Originally Posted by whacked
He also told us that he has neither the desire nor the motivation for the rigorous dieting and training needed to look like FC Pitt.

FTFY

graphite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
why is everyone looking for an easy way out all the time.

i hate working. i hate eating dry chicken breasts. I hate driving in traffic. but i do all these things. pick up a ******* dumbell and STFU.

yea **** yea thekunk07.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads