• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking good in bad light

dsmolken

Reaction score
All the poorly-lit, grainy photos posted around here made me realize that the occasions when it's most important to me to look good, the light is almost certainly dim and people are looking at me from some distance. What looks good in such circumstances? What doesn't work and should be avoided?

I'm thinking some general principles for such situations are: high contrast is good, don't wear black, small or subtle patterns are pretty much a waste, brimmed hats are bad because they make your face harder to see...

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about, from a few days ago:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Others may need to look good in bad lighting in different situations, though.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great thread brometheus

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
A. Dim light makes you look grainy in pictures, not in real life.
Yeah, that's definitely true. But, grain or not, some things do work better in dim light than others, I think. My infamous pigeon shirt with grey tree branches and pigeons printed on top of grey stripes doesn't work. Or maybe I'm just fishing for an excuse to buy some GIANT plaid shirts.
Originally Posted by Jekyll
B. Whatever happened to GoatBomb? I loved that shti.
It sorta morphed into this so we could play live - I can't rap and play bass at the same time, though I do rap a verse here and there while not playing... This band is actually me and the two singers from Goatbomb plus a couple of other people, and we did that particular song in Goatbomb (with electronic drums and some autotune, of course) as well. But it's a lot less silly, and I do kinda miss that. Uh, anyway... anyone got any ideas that are less goofy than giant plaids?

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
Day-glo coated clothing
You know that blaze orange camo stuff that's got some tree branches printed in black on top of the orange? I've actually thought about that, hahaha. But I like to be blatantly tasteless like that sometimes.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
You know that blaze orange camo stuff that's got some tree branches printed in black on top of the orange? I've actually thought about that, hahaha. But I like to be blatantly tasteless like that sometimes.

Who doesn't?!

And no, I don't know what camo stuff you're talking about. Please poast pics. I'm illiterate.

BreezyBirch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
remember that really terrible batman movie with alicia silverstone? the one where some joker gang or something had glow int he dark body paint?
yeah, get that

dsmolken

Reaction score
Heh. Maybe I should try to be tasteful for once, though - we are playing at my office's Christmas party on Thursday. I was thinking something sorta like this, only with mostly gray instead of neon colors:

0,,15205309,00.jpg

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That kid in the green doesn't look impressed at all.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Here's what I ended up going with for the office Christmas party. The lighting was actually pretty good for once, heh.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. If I could get that jacket in hot pink with neon green piping, though, I would.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads