• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for watch suggestions (around $500)

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I've decided that it's time that I invested in a watch that's a little nicer than the J. Crew Timex that I've been wearing around for the past year. I've done a little budgeting, and think that I can allocate somewhere around $500 for a watch.

Do any of you have any suitable recommendations for a watch in this price range? Ideally I'd like something that can be worn with both a suit as well as casually (so maybe something with a leather strap)?

Is $500 even enough to get a decent watch?

Please note that 1) I'm a college student, so my budget isn't really upwardly flexible by too much, and 2) I'm currently in New York, if that makes any difference in terms of finding a watch. However, if the difference between a garbage watch and a really nice watch is another $200, I'm willing to spend it.

Thanks for any help!

6up

Reaction score
.....get a Seiko 5 for under 200$. It will last you an easy 5 yrs, then bank some cash to get another - more expensive time piece that will last you 5-10 yrs (for $2-3g`s)

ramair02

Reaction score
I've been really liking the Movado ESQ line for the under $500 budget. They're worth a look.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend a little more ($100-$200) and get a Stowa Marine, Stowa Antea, or Stowa Flieger.

Possibly a slightly used Hamilton

Look at some Seikos like the 5 or Divers (SKX007, etc.). Perhaps some automatic Sea-Gulls ($100-$300) and spend the saved money and buy a nice alligator band for $100-$200

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll be sure to check out the other watch threads as well.

Really liking the Stowas that cioni2k recommended. Where is a good place to purchase any of these watches that you guys are recommending?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check timezone.com sales corner. $500 can get a used Omega or a nice vintage watch in a gold case.

huy

Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll be sure to check out the other watch threads as well.
Really liking the Stowas that cioni2k recommended. Where is a good place to purchase any of these watches that you guys are recommending?

You can only get Stowa directly from them Stowa.com or used. The problem with buying directly is the waiting period, it can take several months. Used Anteas go for around $400 and Marine Automatics go for around $650.

I also recommend Tissot Le Locle, any Mido or any Hamilton. Used watches would be around 40-50% retail.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton Jazzmaster H32665131

You can't get any more versatile for ~$500.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Hm, it depends. If you just want a nice mechanical watch I'd also opt for the Seiko 5 as suggested, and save for a really nice watch for graduation (or even save up for the really necessary things after college if money is tight). Spending 500 on a watch won't give you a really awesome watch (in my oh so humble opinion), it's some kind of in-between-budget if you ask me. Yeah, a Stowa or a Hamilton is nice, but unless you're hooked on it's looks I'd search elsewhere. I'd definitely avoid Steinhart (having owned one so far), good value on the first look, but definitely not a keeper compared to other options (which do require more budget, admittedly). Plus most of their watches are some kind of 'hommages', and while I understand the appeal of a Flieger replica I consider the *lex ripoffs rather appalling.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Seagull and Chrisopher Ward as well if you'd like to see some more options.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

. I'd definitely avoid Steinhart (having owned one so far), good value on the first look, but definitely not a keeper compared to other options (which do require more budget, admittedly). Plus most of their watches are some kind of 'hommages', and while I understand the appeal of a Flieger replica I consider the *lex ripoffs rather appalling.

Interesting. What didn't you like about yours? They are just a basic 2824 movement right? Their basic Flieger and Sub homages look alright to me but I have never seen one up close. Stowas do have nice finish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads