• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for versatile shoe recommendations

primetimeseano

Reaction score
I'm starting a new job next month (I'll be articling at a law firm if that helps) and I've decided I need some new shoes to wear with suits for work. However, since I'm on a budget I'd like to find shoes that I can also wear out with casual clothes (like jeans) on weekends. I was hoping to buy two pairs and spend under $400 total. For colors I was thinking probably black and brown (but I'm certainly open to opinions on that). I'm wondering what the best brands, styles and places to buy would be. Also, any recommendations for good quality belts that are reasonably priced?

As a slight aside, I'm from Edmonton and we have a lot of snow and ice in the winter... Am I best off buying boots or something like that for the those months?

Thanks in advance!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say AE strands in walnut and AE Park aves in black. It may be more like $450 unless you find a better deal.

I'd wear some cheap boots or galoshes in the winter.

primetimeseano

Reaction score
Thanks! I like both of those and they're pretty much what I had in mind. What suit colors would the walnut go best with? Also, any belt suggestions?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two shoe color choice would be ox blood and walnut brown (not a big fan of black). I'd go one cap toe and one wingtip. The choice of brand is simple -- whatever fits you best. AEs fit the best for me. Wear overshoes in the winter, or boots and change to shoes in the office.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I would get the Strands in dark brown rather than walnut if they are your second shoe, as walnut can be noticeable because it is so light.

primetimeseano

Reaction score
Yeah, I was reading about walnut vs. dark brown in another thread and thought maybe dark brown would be a better choice for me. Would strands in dark brown work well with jeans as well as pretty much any suit that isn't black or dark charcoal?

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
My two shoe color choice would be ox blood and walnut brown (not a big fan of black). I'd go one cap toe and one wingtip. The choice of brand is simple -- whatever fits you best.

+1 I agree that your best bets are a cap toe and a wingtip, mostly because you can dress them up or down as needed. I rarely wear black shoes, but depending on how conservatively your coworkers dress, it might be a good idea to have a pair of black cap toes (or wingtips if you want to make them more interesting) for meeting days and dressier occasions.

It might be hard to get two pairs of quality shoes for under $400 but you might be able to find some cheap(er) shoes on the B&S boards here or on ebay.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are to have one shoe than it would be Dark Brown (Dark Oak, etc.).

If you are to have 2 shoes then it would be Dark Brown and Black (Black for black suits or formal occasions where Brown just won't do)

If you are to have 3 shoes then it would be Dark Brown, Black, and Burgendy/Ox-Blood.

Once your budge allows you can experiment with things like White, Navy, London Tan, Eggplant, etc.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown captoe oxfords in suede in a sleek last. Works with just about anything but the most formal in my opinion. The one shoo!

primetimeseano

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of searching for the Allen Edmonds shoes over the last couple of days and can't decide where to buy from. There are some used pairs on ebay that are pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. If not, where would the best place to buy new ones from be?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics