• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the perfect white summer shirt

GreenNYC

Reaction score
There's nothing quite as nice in the summer months as a crisp white cotton shirt. My problem is finding a shirt constructed of lightweight cloth (e.g., Egyptian cotton) that doesn't have some level of transparency allowing skin to show through when worn casually with an open collar and no undershirt. I dislike the look of visible skin tone apparent through the shirt and it darkens the overall effect. Can anybody recommend a shirt that would be both lightweight and opaque?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen might be a better bet.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid poplin/broadcloth and go with something like a lightweight twill or herringbone weave. The tone on tone patterns won't be as transparent as the plain weaves.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I agree with Ed. Linen shirts don't show skin too terribly, but as far as I'm concerned you should wear an undershirt too (a REAL t-shirt, not those tanks that don't absorb sweat from your armpits).

Earthmover

Reaction score
I found french oxfords (this is what Jantzen refers to their thin oxfords) to be good in the summer, because while not super-thin, the loose weave makes the shirt much cooler. And obviously, they are opaque, as it is thicker.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur with the recommendation of a light oxford

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing one of the Thomas Mason J. Crew white cotton shirts. 2-ply 100s, maybe? I'd have to take it off to double check. But it seems to me both light and opaque.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Sea Island cotton?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..... well that gets tricky, the really lightweight fabrics are not as opaque as you might want in the summer and as you get into the more opaque ones it gets warmer and once they get damp and clingy with sweat they get more opaque.

Plus, sans undershirt you tend to get the shirt dirtier.

Worth considering would be finding an undershirt that doesn't bind or make you hot if I am guessing correctly and you don't like the undershirt for that reason.

My favorite white Summer shirt is a linen cotton blend like this one, but with a good quality undershirt..

lino.jpg

lcordaro

Reaction score
I was out shopping yesteday and I was finding it difficult to find a casual white shirt that didn't show through. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what brand of white shirts would work. Will I have to go the MTM shirts.

Thanks
Larry

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lcordaro
I was out shopping yesteday and I was finding it difficult to find a casual white shirt that didn't show through. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what brand of white shirts would work. Will I have to go the MTM shirts.

Thanks
Larry

Charles Tyrwhitt has a linen-silk blend button down that is going for all of $26.10 at the moment. It's pretty opaque and pretty comfortable temperature-wise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads