1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for the perfect white summer shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GreenNYC, Jul 25, 2006.

1. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

There's nothing quite as nice in the summer months as a crisp white cotton shirt. My problem is finding a shirt constructed of lightweight cloth (e.g., Egyptian cotton) that doesn't have some level of transparency allowing skin to show through when worn casually with an open collar and no undershirt. I dislike the look of visible skin tone apparent through the shirt and it darkens the overall effect. Can anybody recommend a shirt that would be both lightweight and opaque?

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Linen might be a better bet.

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Avoid poplin/broadcloth and go with something like a lightweight twill or herringbone weave. The tone on tone patterns won't be as transparent as the plain weaves.

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I agree with Ed. Linen shirts don't show skin too terribly, but as far as I'm concerned you should wear an undershirt too (a REAL t-shirt, not those tanks that don't absorb sweat from your armpits).

5. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

I found french oxfords (this is what Jantzen refers to their thin oxfords) to be good in the summer, because while not super-thin, the loose weave makes the shirt much cooler. And obviously, they are opaque, as it is thicker.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I concur with the recommendation of a light oxford

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Today I'm wearing one of the Thomas Mason J. Crew white cotton shirts. 2-ply 100s, maybe? I'd have to take it off to double check. But it seems to me both light and opaque.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Kiton is the only maker that I've found which as super high quality thin weight cotton.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

10. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Hmmmmm..... well that gets tricky, the really lightweight fabrics are not as opaque as you might want in the summer and as you get into the more opaque ones it gets warmer and once they get damp and clingy with sweat they get more opaque.

Plus, sans undershirt you tend to get the shirt dirtier.

Worth considering would be finding an undershirt that doesn't bind or make you hot if I am guessing correctly and you don't like the undershirt for that reason.

My favorite white Summer shirt is a linen cotton blend like this one, but with a good quality undershirt..

[​IMG]

11. lcordaro

lcordaro Active Member

I was out shopping yesteday and I was finding it difficult to find a casual white shirt that didn't show through. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what brand of white shirts would work. Will I have to go the MTM shirts.

Thanks
    Larry

12. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I was out shopping yesteday and I was finding it difficult to find a casual white shirt that didn't show through. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what brand of white shirts would work. Will I have to go the MTM shirts.

Thanks
    Larry

Charles Tyrwhitt has a linen-silk blend button down that is going for all of $26.10 at the moment. It's pretty opaque and pretty comfortable temperature-wise.

13. lcordaro

lcordaro Active Member

Thanks. I will check it out.

LC