• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the perfect watch

trajan

Reaction score
After doing a lot of research, looking at many watches and doing a lot of thinking, I've finally quantified what I want from my next watch. The only thing is that I don't know if it exists. This is why I'm writing this: maybe you guys can help me find it.

Here's what I'd like:
- I want to pay at most 2k
- I want a classic look:
* leather strap, black crocodile comes to mind
* gold or silver case
* simple design but not too simple (I hate the simplified Modavo watches)
* roman numerals preferred (but arabics are fine)
* no chronograph, in fact no seconds hand (why would I want to be that precise?) Date showing is fine
* no fancy wheels showing, or any extra useless features
* round or tank design (I like both)
- I want a watch that ticks, ie no quartz. Yes, quartz has no sole. Yes, it's about making a statement. And yes, hearing the watch tick will remind me of my childhood. (which is a good thing)
- I don't care about the brand, but it has to look good.

Something like this, but mechanical:

http://www.prestigetime.com/item.php?item_id=523

Any ideas on where I can find it?

Btw, are there any antique/used watch shops in New York?

thanks,

--trajan

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Omega Aqua Terra
2) Oris Atelier

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
1) Omega Aqua Terra
2) Oris Atelier

I have the Omega "Planet Ocean" or the "Aqua Terra" its a nice watch, if you have othere watches though, for thta price and to have just one, I really really like the Tag Heuer Monaco, in blue, to commemorate Steve Mcqueen

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MOCAZEN
I really really like the Tag Heuer Monaco, in blue, to commemorate Steve Mcqueen

for me, that's *my* perfect watch

pgoat

Reaction score
+1 on the Omega Aquaterra. Mine - a black dial SS - cost under $2k a few years ago through a good online dealer. Beautiful watch and with the bracelet is on the perfect edge of sport/dress for me. With a quality leather strap it would be a great dress watch period. Just make sure you try on all the sizes (I believe it comes in three - I chose the largest, 41mm but they all are larger looking than the listed sizes. Mine is more like a 43mm, which is fine for this one - if I get the white dial on strap (which I might someday) I'd go for the 38mm.

also agree on Oris - no better bang-for-buck on a swiss mechanical imho. You could score a nice watch tha fits your tastes (maybe a Big Crown? or look for a used City Timer - 36 or 40mm) and have plenty left over from the $2K.

If you want to go cheaper (and you certainly could and still look fine) there's the Seiko 5 (mechanical) and Swissarmy (mech or quartz) - I've had gr8 luck with both. I'm sure Tag H is great in the Oris price range as well, tho I've never owned one personally.

Good luck!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan

Btw, are there any antique/used watch shops in New York?

--trajan

Nope, no antique/used watch shops in New York
blush.gif

Just Kidding, I've got a Breitling with an Alligator band, (that fits your parameters) and would recommend it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Monaco is a beautiful watch but I think it may be out of the price range unless you get used...

southbound35

Reaction score
The perfect watch for me in the $2,000 price range was the Omega Aqua Terra. I went for the silver face midsize.

25043000.gif

Jerry52

Reaction score
Overstock.com has a HUGE selection of watches but I've never made a purchase from them and am unsure of how satisfied customers have been.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on the omega aqua terra. for a little less, the omega speedmaster date is also a good watch
28033337.gif
38133001.gif

singlechange

Reaction score
About a year ago I purchased the watch you described exactly from an internet dealer in Stockholm for $2000 U.S. Its 18K yellow gold Chopard preowned with original box, papers, even price tag in mint condition, 36mm case. The model came out just before Chopard's legendary L.U.C. 1.96 which is arguably the best modern automatic ever. I have in my small collection a Lange, IWC,
Blancpain, vintage Patek and Audemars Piguet but this simple Chopard is my favorite timepiece, the culmination of years of watch study. It has an IWC movement,.

coatandthai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by singlechange
It has an IWC movement,.

I am curious about this since IWC only recently began using its own movements, and they are very large. Typically IWC used ETA movements, albeit with some in-house refinements. Even the famed Da Vinci was a 7750 base with modules piled on top (hence the thickness).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads