• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for the MOST VERSATILE LEATHER SHOE!! Birkenstock London?

PocketTees

Reaction score
My requirements are that the shoe be durable, leather, slip-on, can be worn with shorts (no socks), jeans, and slacks at the office and well under $200. Considering the Birkenstock London, but still on the fence. I tried some on and the looked a little like Crocs. The narrow sizes look better, but still a little Crocy. I'm still not completely opposed to having laces, I've just really enjoyed not having them on most of my shoes. Here is a little summary...

Pros:
I like that you can get the Londons re-soled.
I've known people that have had Birkenstocks for 10 years!
Leather
No laces
Durable

Cons:
Crocy
Boat like

Questions?
Has anybody done much hiking in the Londons?
Does everyone like the way the wear/break-in over time?
Comfortable?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want a woman who blows me while I play video games, makes six figures a year, looks like a model, and does all the cooking and cleaning.

dshreter

Reaction score
This isn't quite the right place to get opinions on those shoes. Most people here wouldn't consider anything nearly as casual as those as being suitable to wear with slacks in the office, so I would expect a few snarky replies.

In any case, I had a pair of them, and they didn't stay on my feet very well. So while they were fine for slipping on to get to the grocery store in my pajamas, I wouldn't want to wear them hiking, or even all day for that matter. The style with two straps over the foot works better for me.

The shoes you're talking about are also quite ugly.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go barefoot vs birkenstocks

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazingly, there is something that fits the bill. And not anything made by birkenstock. Suede penny loafers. Perhaps dirty bucks, but you would be stretching it on both the shorts side and the trouser side, though I lean towards them being acceptable for both. Try Bass, thier Gorham model comes in a dark brown suede. More suede would be awesome in the weejuns line, but in that price range, take what you can get.

No visible socks with shorts either way, of course.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I want a woman who blows me while I play video games, makes six figures a year, looks like a model, and does all the cooking and cleaning.

Funiest post of the day, by the way I also want one of those but in high heeled Birkenstocks
lol8[1].gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit:

Omit video games

makes seven figures,

Looks like a model with **** (natural)

Otherwise, +1

WallStPeon

Reaction score
I'm surprised you have a job that you would consider wearing Birkenstock's to...make sure "tie (sp?) dye" is part of the allowed dress code first...the last person I hung out with who wore Birkenstocks also smoke(s/d) an insane amount of pot and didn't wear shoes for two years straight in college...

...anyway...get a pair of desert boots for when you wear pants and a pair of Topsiders when you want shorts...Johnston and Murphy makes some decent desert boots for about $125 and you can probably find some Topsiders you like for $60. I think Clarks are around that price range as well. Less than $200 and a helluva lot classier than Birkenstocks...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WallStPeon
I'm surprised you have a job that you would consider wearing Birkenstock's to...make sure "tie (sp?) dye" is part of the allowed dress code first...the last person I hung out with who wore Birkenstocks also smoke(s/d) an insane amount of pot and didn't wear shoes for two years straight in college...

Not all jobs have the same sartorial requirements. My dad has been known to wear his to work in the warmer months, and he wears those suede slide on clogs most other days. And it's not like "pediatrician" isn't a real job.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketTees
My requirements are that the shoe be durable, leather, slip-on, can be worn with shorts (no socks), jeans, and slacks at the office and well under $200.

img56667413.jpg

puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif
puzzled.gif
facepalm.gif

kill-it-with-fire.jpg

PocketTees

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I work at a large independent oil and gas company in the geology department. Dress code is business casual, and in the geology department sometimes that means multi-colored cotton belts and shirts with as many pockets as you can sew. They are a little lenient with the departments that make the money for the company.

I'll check out the sites that were mentioned. More suggestions are welcomed. Does anyone have a picture of some worn-in Londons?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't give in to the temptation to behave like certain others from SF.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Step 1: Buy Birkenstock Londons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads