• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for suit recommendations

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Your absolutely right, I have tons of things that are made in China and it is impossible to get away from not buying anything there. This isn't a knock on the quality of anything that they make. I just prefer to buy elsewhere when I can.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Yikes this went sideways in a hurry. You seem a bit newer to this so do yourself a favor. Buy the navy Hart Schaffner Marx and be done with it. It's made in Chicago and is a perfectly serviceable $500 garment that is available at Nordstrom and Dillards, so you can have it ready in a few days instead of embarking on some #menswear odyssey of buys, returns, and endless "how does it fit" posts here before a final cathartic message praising the customer service at whatever tiny vendor you bought from (who hate you by the time all is said and done and probably burned their margin dealing with your issues). You'll also not have to talk to any of the maladjusted belligerents in this lightning rod of a thread ever again. You're welcome.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried on any suit brands? Once you know which suits fit your physique you can get a great read-to-wear suit for under $1000 online through folks like Sartoriale and Shop the Finest and even on eBay. I've found excellent sully canvassed mainline Canalis on eBay for $500, and similarly price Sartoria Partenopea suits on Sartoriale. I know you can get new with tags Samuelsohn on ebay and they are very well made. But you have to know which model and size fits you. For instance, there are three main models of Canalis (11000 line, 13000 line, and 15000 line). The 13000 line fits me perfectly, the others not so much. But once you know what model and manufacturer work well for you, you can get a great suit online for under $1000.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don' t see a problem boycotting China because of political reasons. I most definitely avoid Turkish made items at all costs for political reasons only.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes this went sideways in a hurry. You seem a bit newer to this so do yourself a favor. Buy the navy Hart Schaffner Marx and be done with it. It's made in Chicago and is a perfectly serviceable $500 garment that is available at Nordstrom and Dillards, so you can have it ready in a few days instead of embarking on some #menswear odyssey of buys, returns, and endless "how does it fit" posts here before a final cathartic message praising the customer service at whatever tiny vendor you bought from (who hate you by the time all is said and done and probably burned their margin dealing with your issues). You'll also not have to talk to any of the maladjusted belligerents in this lightning rod of a thread ever again. You're welcome.
Forums such as these are already a dying medium.

Raking a new guy over the coals isn't exactly a good way to preserve any community. I was shocked at how much **** OP got flung at him.

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Forums such as these are already a dying medium.

Raking a new guy over the coals isn't exactly a good way to preserve any community. I was shocked at how much **** OP got flung at him.

I think some of these guys think just because they put a suit on, it makes them a gentlemen. I appreciate everyone for the input!

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of these guys think just because they put a suit on, it makes them a gentlemen. I appreciate everyone for the input!
On a side note, I recently learned that the term "gentleman" used to actually be a factual description. It meant a man who owned property in England and had a coat of arms. It didn't have anything to do with being honorable or courteous, except that men with property tended to act in that manner. But you could, in fact, be a dishonorable gentleman. At some point the meaning of gentleman morphed to mean the way men (and especially gentile men with property) were supposed to behave and act toward others, and lost its factual connection to the landed gentry. Now anyone can, in theory, be a "gentleman," but it is a purely subjective description.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I recently learned that the term "gentleman" used to actually be a factual description. It meant a man who owned property in England and had a coat of arms. It didn't have anything to do with being honorable or courteous, except that men with property tended to act in that manner. But you could, in fact, be a dishonorable gentleman. At some point the meaning of gentleman morphed to mean the way men (and especially gentile men with property) were supposed to behave and act toward others, and lost its factual connection to the landed gentry. Now anyone can, in theory, be a "gentleman," but it is a purely subjective description.
The collective noun for gentlemen ( and women) was Gentry.

In Spanish a gentleman is a "caballero" or a horseman. So the emphasis is less
on good manners, more on status. To complicate this the lesser Spanish nobility,
corresponding somewhat to Gentry is Hidalgo which is a contraction of
hijo de algo- son of something- meaning the lineage is not really known, but
the Hidalgo is a caballero. Not permitted to work with his hands.
Don Quixote was an Hildalgo.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your views are ignorant and racist against the Chinese......no different than if you asked “Where can I shop where no black people work?” and then went on to (incorrectly as it were) describe why this is such a criteria - all of which has nothing to do with a suit.

I gave you an option of Cavour and I doubt you even bothered to look into it. If you had, you would have commented on how nice their suits are for the money and would have probably bought something by now. Clearly, you’re not about this life so why post about stuff you have no real intention of doing?

You’re like the person who failed science in school but will debate about vaccines to the very end......FOH

Last edited:

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Your views are ignorant and racist against the Chinese......no different than if you asked “Where can I shop where no black people work?” and then went on to (incorrectly as it were) describe why this is such a criteria - all of which has nothing to do with a suit.

I gave you an option of Cavour and I doubt you even bothered to look into it. If you had, you would have commented on how nice their suits are for the money and would have probably bought something y now. Clearly, you’re not about this life so why post about stuff you have no real intention of doing?

You’re like the person who failed science in school but will debate about vaccines to the very end......FOH

If you’re not giving me a suit suggestion bring your SJW attitude elsewhere.

Betta

Reaction score
I don’t want to buy from a country that puts people in concentration camps so I’m making a political statement? What is wrong with you? Paying someone minimum wage (which I doubt anyone making a suit gets paid) is so far off from the peanuts they’d receive elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to work anywhere in America. Stand for something or fall for whatever the media is feeding you. :confused:
Since there seems to be so much debate:

I agree with your rhetoric, in terms of bringing awareness. BUT... Whatever the media is feeding us IS also that narrative of China too. Almost every under-developed country has similar conditions to some extent. And even some developed countries too. There are horrible conditions all over, such as having to pee in a bottle ( no, not that recent bottle debacle involving drivers) , around 5:05, but the whole video is worth watching. So yeah, lets knock on other country's for human rights violations and poor working conditions. But let us also acknowledge it .

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The guy simply asked for suits made in the US or Europe. Can we please keep CE comments in CE? If you want to discuss politics, there's an entire sub-forum where you can do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads