• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for suit recommendations

Dennynj24

Reaction score
I am looking for suit recommendations either MTM or RTW that is either made in USA or Europe. I am hoping to spend under 1,000 so likely something that is RTW and that doesn't have skinny lapels (at least 3.5 inches).

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I am looking for suit recommendations either MTM or RTW that is either made in USA or Europe. I am hoping to spend under 1,000 so likely something that is RTW and that doesn't have skinny lapels (at least 3.5 inches).

Take a look at the offerings from O'Connell's.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, The Andover Shop, Ben Silver
Paul Stuart is probably a bit higher priced

I've been successful, overall, shopping on line but is a bit
of a crap shoot. Also, one should have a very skilled tailor.
for alterations. Online check out Sartoriale. Excellent customer service
Also Shop the Finest. Both are SF affiliates.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add ehaberdasher for online options. I have a favorite Isaia suit from them that is
probably 10 years old. I am not current with them. Prices quite low.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

In the Made in USA category, Hart Schaffner Marx suits are great bang for buck. They're typically available around $500 - $800 in very conservative style: their New York fit is a slim-ish jacket with medium lapels, 2 flap pockets and welted breast pocket, lightly padded chest and shoulders, not too short, and with full cut medium-rise trousers. Somewhere in between overly rakish Italian styles and the flaccid uniform that is the undarted single hook vent sack suit. Can never go out of fashion because it was never in fashion.

The solid colors (charcoal or navy) are made in a lightweight Italian fabric and good for three season wear, or four if you live in a place with mild winters.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to be made in USA? Try Cavour for a European option.

Dennynj24

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I am mainly trying to looking for a thats isn’t suit made in China or some similar countries for various reasons.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Do you want new collection / sales people helping you?
For 1000$ you can buy new Kiton on eBay sometimes. Also Tom Ford, Isaia like 500-700$.

Do you know your size?

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I am mainly trying to looking for a thats isn’t suit made in China or some similar countries for various reasons.
What is wrong from suit made in China? Is that coming from past experiences? Or just cause it’s made in China? There are suits made in China that can or may be far superior from suit made here depending on the tailor.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Retailer recommendations:

1. J press: Classic ivy style “sack suit” made in North America rtw
2. Occonnel’s: Classic ivy style made in North America rtw
3. Sid Mashburn: Classic Ivy style with a touch of Italian made in Europe and North America rtw

all three are at or around your price range

haloitsme

Reaction score
What is wrong from suit made in China? Is that coming from past experiences? Or just cause it’s made in China? There are suits made in China that can or may be far superior from suit made here depending on the tailor.
Where does the Virus come from?
Jokes beside, in China there are bespoke tailores that can rival London and Napoli.
I think what he means is more the style rather than made in Tag.
Best

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does the Virus come from?
Jokes beside, in China there are bespoke tailores that can rival London and Napoli.
I think he what he means is more the style rather than made in Tag.
Best
Style? Is that not determined by the client and the tailor? Also each tailor may have a house style that could be up to the clients liking. I just want to know why the Made in China is an issue here?
If one wants Spalla and soft shoulders then is that only achieved by a tailor in Italy? Or if one wants heavy padded Shoulders then the tailor must be from England?

I understand one wants what one wants but what is the reason behind the rejection from all suits made in China??
After over one year of this **** let’s just hope that this virus goes away soon!!

Stay Safe Sir!!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand one wants what one wants but what is the reason behind the rejection from all suits made in China??
After over one year of this **** let’s just hope that this virus goes away soon!!

Stay Safe Sir!!

[/QUOTE]
Probably politics. It is difficult to avoid Chinese-made products in many
areas. Not so in tailored clothing.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Style? Is that not determined by the client and the tailor? Also each tailor may have a house style that could be up to the clients liking. I just want to know why the Made in China is an issue here?
If one wants Spalla and soft shoulders then is that only achieved by a tailor in Italy? Or if one wants heavy padded Shoulders then the tailor must be from England?

Stay Safe Sir!!
I can assure a lot of made in China cloths are relabel in Italy to made in Italy.
Anyhow, the starter of this should tell us his style and if buying online is ok. So we can give good answers.
Also his measuremts and if he needs m2m or bespoke (shoulders flopping, uneven spinal, wired posture etc), or a good rtw with alteration is the best for him.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odds are that “made in Italy” suit is made by Chinese workers in a Chinese managed factory in Italy.

$1000 is a decent enough budget. Saks fifth ave uses Samuelsohn as their house brand. Right around $1000 and made in Canada.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads