• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for suit fabric recommendations

montmorency

Reaction score
I am getting ready to have my tailor make me a suit. I want a solid navy worsted in a spring-summer-fall weight. He has fabric books by Scabal, Loro Piana, Charles Clayton, a couple of Holland & Sherry, GRM, and I think some other odds and ends. Nothing by Lesser or Harrisons and since this would be the first suit he is making for me, I don't think I would want to pay for a Lesser or Harrisons fabric anyway. Does anyone have any specific recommendations out of these choices?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know your own comfort range but any fabric I found appropriate for spring/fall wouldn't be comfortable in the summer. Try H&S Snowy River (100s) and Target (120s). They are 10/11 ozs and better than the comparable Scabal offerings. The 13oz Perennial book is very good, too, if you are willing to forego the summer requirement. It is not as heavy as it sounds. For summer/late spring/early fall, try the H&S Crispaires. They make excellent suits, especially the mohair/wool.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation of the Holland & Sherry Snowy River. They seem to be cheaper than comparable cloths by LP, and definitely less than Scabal. A lot of Chan customers seemed to be pretty happy with the VBC specials that were offered two or three years ago, and less than estatic with the recent LP samples. FWIW, my last MTM experiment was cut from a Charles Clayton 130s worsted (LS Clothing/H.Freeman MTM). It was really affordable, but I'm kind of wishing that I upgraded to Holland and Sherry for such a basic.

montmorency

Reaction score
I have heard good things about Holland & Sherry too. All my tailor said about them was that they were owned by Brooks Brothers (which I had never heard before, despite reading posts on this board regularly). In my mind, that doesn't mean that the fabrics H&S offers in its books are the same as what are found in OTR suits at Brooks.

Norcaltransplant, do you think that a 10 oz. Snowy River would be wearable in NYC during the summer?

I have one MTM suit made out of a VBC flannel. I'm not thrilled with how the fabric holds its shape. It shows more in the pants than the suit, because the interlining in the suit gives it structure.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not owned by Brooks, but by Individualized Apparel Group, which also own Oxxford, H. Freeman, and Individualized Shirts, among others.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montmorency
I have heard good things about Holland & Sherry too.

Pound for pound, probably the best fabric merchant operating today.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best large merchant, at least.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Best large merchant, at least.
Who else has their breadth of offerings?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is why I added the "large" designation. "Pound for pound" implies that merchants' relative sizes would not be a criterion in assessing them; all I would consider, then, is cloth quality. The heavyweight H&S would probably take down middleweight LBD/Harrisons and welterweight Lesser straight up, but since one is interested in individual cloths and will not limit oneself to a single merchant for all its offerings, such a comparison wouldn't be applicable. When comparing similarly designated cloths across the three, my choice for the best would unlikely be H&S.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
"Pound for pound" implies that merchants' relative size
Yes, I misspoke. I should say that if I was forced to deal with only one merchant, it would be H&S.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I concur with the H&S Snowy River and Target 120's choices.
The Scabal books to look at in the same category as these are the 2 Saville Row books. Good patterns, good hand.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely agree with H&S Snowy River, Target and also Perennial - they all have some lovely classic patterns and a decent hand.

If they have it, and you want something a bit jazzier, try Dormeuil's Royal 12 book as well.

Loro Piana's books are very nice indeed, but somewhat more expensive. I have yet to find a "must-have" Scabal cloth, personally.

montmorency

Reaction score
I'm just looking for a solid navy, no patterns. Do any of these H&A books have solids?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the suiting collections mentioned have solids.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position and have been directed towards 10oz worsted (I live in Atlanta). Would it be possible to use a heavier weight with an unlined or quarter-lined design? I should add that the suit I'm ordering will only be used at night and indoors. So scorching summer days shouldn't factor into the equation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads