• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for suggestions on casual jacket for spring/fall

sloaney

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on an informal/casual but still elegant jacket that is sufficiently versatile in color, design and weight for spring and fall. I'd like to be able to wear this to the office with an open-collar dress shirt and wool slacks to the office.

I saw some good ones at Loro Piana but if there are other options at a lower cost that would be good.

03.jpg

Loro Piana Barrage

06.jpg

Loro Piana Roadster Villa D'Este

Will I pay a premium to buy these in London (and how much?)

Thanks, appreciate your comments.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By "jacket" you mean something waterproof? I think elegant and waterproof are mutually exclusive.
confused.gif
How about an umbrella? And wool coats are water-resistant...

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
By "jacket" you mean something waterproof? I think elegant and waterproof are mutually exclusive.
confused.gif
How about an umbrella? And wool coats are water-resistant...

Doesn't have to be water-resistant. I'd rather not do wool if possible.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own a LP Barrage. I love the design and it's both warm and waterproof. The price tag is heavy. I got mine at outlet at about 70% off and it still wasn't what I'd call cheap as chips.
wink.gif

Can't remember exact prices though, sorry!

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I own a LP Barrage. I love the design and it's both warm and waterproof. The price tag is heavy. I got mine at outlet at about 70% off and it still wasn't what I'd call cheap as chips.
wink.gif

Can't remember exact prices though, sorry!

Thanks, good to know!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
Doesn't have to be water-resistant. I'd rather not do wool if possible.
What have you got against wool?
tounge.gif
I think the examples you posted are way too casual for town during the week. How about a cotton twill trenchcoat? Or a leather/suede jacket? Microfiber might be okay, too. Stick to the kind of thing in STP's Dress Coats & Jackets: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...spx?deptId=201

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
What have you got against wool?
tounge.gif

I think the examples you posted are way too casual for town during the week. How about a cotton twill trenchcoat? Or a leather/suede jacket? Microfiber might be okay, too.

Stick to the kind of thing in STP's Dress Coats & Jackets:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...spx?deptId=201

I like the Loro Piana ones because they are casually elegant. In fact, everything that Loro Piana puts out is of the most excellent taste. I'm after a soft Italian look. Those jackets suggest a carefree and leisurely life. I wouldn't wear a Burberry trenchcoat or a leather jacket for example.... way too serious for me.

I like to dress casually elegant and walk in the City of London laughing at all those suited bankers
smile.gif

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney

I like to dress casually elegant and walk in the City of London laughing at all those suited bankers
smile.gif

rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads