• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for structured sport coats

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to expand my wardrobe in the sport coat area, perhaps with a herringbone and a donegal like the ones at BB below.

FirstFrame.jpg
FirstFrame.jpg

I really like these colors, but the problem is that both of these are sacks and with a 40 in chest and 29in waist, I want something with a little more waist suppression than the sack cut. What brands should I be looking for and where? I am of modest means, so a $1000 Italian label is simply out of reach.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.... suggestions would be greatly appreciated! How/where do I find well-fitted sport coats? Brands and stores/websites recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase 2-3 sport coats, a herringbone and donegal like pictured above and also perhaps a tweed or houndstooth.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is tailoring the sack coats out of the question?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I thought of that but didn't know if I would end up with a nice tapered fit. I have a 11 inch drop and don't want look like I am wearing a woollen poncho.

wq1999

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your budget is, but you might consider Ralph Lauren Black Label or even Polo Made in Italy. Both can be found on sale for good discounts. You could also try Corneliani or Isaia, on closeout of course.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
I'm not sure what your budget is, but you might consider Ralph Lauren Black Label or even Polo Made in Italy. Both can be found on sale for good discounts. You could also try Corneliani or Isaia, on closeout of course.

Any good places to consider to go try them out? Are these only carried in high end department stores? I think we have a Saks downtowm..... also are they available online?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Any good places to consider to go try them out? Are these only carried in high end department stores? I think we have a Saks downtowm..... also are they available online?

A good Marshall's store will have Polo jackets. If you're patient, you might find a nice tweed. You could also wait for a RL online sale, but that probably won't net you a sub-$1K price.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good advice... there's a Marshall's down the street from my condo - I'll get into the habit of frequenting it to see if I get lucky. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads