• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some watch advice

Black or White dial with a suit?

• Total voters

TexasToast

Reaction score
Im looking at a dressy watch that I like and it comes in a black and white dial versions. I plan on wearing this watch with a suit and also casually. Which color dial would be most appropriate with a blue or gray suit black or white dial.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think either would be fine. It really comes down to personal preference. You may want to consider other watches you may have to create balance with the choice. That would be my only concern.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I think either would be fine. It really comes down to personal preference. You may want to consider other watches you may have to create balance with the choice. That would be my only concern.
Thanks for your reply.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to be so general. There is a reason why watch makers often offer a choice between dial colors. A very rough rule of thumb is that dark faces often work better with sports watches and light with dress watches, but obviously this is a generalization. It might help if you can tell us which watch you have in mind.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Hard to be so general. There is a reason why watch makers often offer a choice between dial colors. A very rough rule of thumb is that dark faces often work better with sports watches and light with dress watches, but obviously this is a generalization. It might help if you can tell us which watch you have in mind.

Well in the short time that I've posted this I've changed my mind on what I want, I still want a dressy watch however. The two watches I now have in mind are the Steinglas Hamburg Automatik silver and the Seiko SRPB43 after a lot of research. They both have their pluses and minuses so I'm pretty conflicted by them both. I mean those bias are what they are and I need to decide eventually.

My take on both watches.

Hamburg Automatik
+ Bauhaus Design
+ 42mm size
+ Great price
+ Sapphire Crystal
- Movement is Mitoya
- Not familiar with company

Seiko SRPB43
+ Seiko name
- Only 40mm
+ Looks good
+ Movement 4R35
- Price
- Hardlex Crystal

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a watch expert (there are two watch threads on Classic Menswear as I'm sure you know, one for less and one for more expensive watches) but my take on this is that these are two pretty different styles. If you like the Bauhaus style that the Hamburg represents, I really think you should spend more and get a Junghans Max Bill.

As for the Seiko, I don't think 40 mm is necessarily too small at all. In fact it's a little on the large end for a dress watch, unless you have large wrists. Have you tried it on in person? Measurements don't always give you a good sense for how it wears on the wrist.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I'm not really a watch expert (there are two watch threads on Classic Menswear as I'm sure you know, one for less and one for more expensive watches) but my take on this is that these are two pretty different styles. If you like the Bauhaus style that the Hamburg represents, I really think you should spend more and get a Junghans Max Bill.

As for the Seiko, I don't think 40 mm is necessarily too small at all. In fact it's a little on the large end for a dress watch, unless you have large wrists. Have you tried it on in person? Measurements don't always give you a good sense for how it wears on the wrist.

I don't consider myself an watch expert either I just like watches lol. I will re-check the watch threads you mentioned and take a closer look at them. I have a 63.40mm wrist so I'm not too fond of 40mm or less watches which is why Seiko isn't a #1 on my list. Youre right I should try the watch on, I am very fond of the Bauhaus design, Sapphire crystal and 42mm case size etc.

I think I've looked at all of the Bauhaus inspired watches including the Max Bill which I am a fan of but the case size is 38mm so much for that. Im more than willing to spend more on a Bauhaus watch but I want certain features that the Max Bill does not offer.

Thanks for your assistance with my query.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a dress watch I prefer white or cream dials

All my dive watches are black or grey but obviously in dark conditions the legibility is good because of the Lume

Go with the Seiko, I am fairly sure that model has a sapphire crystal BTW

Look at the 44mm King Samurai (Also sapphire cryystal) if you want a bigger watch, I have an 8.5 inch wrist and that size is perfect for me (a regular Samurai in my case with hardlex which is perfectly fine)

rjc149

Reaction score
The most versatile watch in my opinion is a white dial, relatively simple (not a chronograph) with either Roman or Arabic numerals, or tick marks, with a metal bracelet.

I prefer my watches under 38MM (my daily wearer is a 36MM) because they slip easily under a dress shirt cuff and don't get snagged on anything.

TexasToast

Reaction score
For a dress watch I prefer white or cream dials

All my dive watches are black or grey but obviously in dark conditions the legibility is good because of the Lume

Go with the Seiko, I am fairly sure that model has a sapphire crystal BTW

Look at the 44mm King Samurai (Also sapphire cryystal) if you want a bigger watch, I have an 8.5 inch wrist and that size is perfect for me (a regular Samurai in my case with hardlex which is perfectly fine)
Thanks for the suggestion of the King Samurai as I have wrists your size.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion of the King Samurai as I have wrists your size.

Might give you an idea for sizing

16426065781361043577116986771642.jpg

TexasToast

Reaction score
42mm works OK too, hopefully as watch sizes trend a little smaller guys like us can pick up some bargains, I bought the Seiko new from ebay UK for £165 with shipping
I think I need to look at 40mm - 43mm because there aren't many 44mm dress watches out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads