• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for some attire suggestions for my wedding...

JSDNJ

Reaction score
I am getting married this summer in NYC, in a small intimate ceremony at a restaurant. We are talking 25 people max, ceremony in the restaurant and dinner/reception in a private room after. Ceremony starts at 4pm. We did not want the typical large wedding with DJ and the whole traditional thing. We wont have any wedding party aside from maybe a best man and MOH. The ceremony begins at 4pm.

All things considered I immediately ruled out a tuxedo. Plus, I figure why not get a new suit that I can actually wear again after the wedding. I have a cotton J Crew Ludlow in tan, but the wedding is indoors and I don't feel like it really 'goes'.

I was thinking of going to SuitSupply and looking for a modern cut blue suit (Thinking a shade brighter than Navy) or a J Crew Ludlow like the one pictured below in 'Admiral Blue'

I will pair this with a white shirt, white linen pocket square and I am still debating the tie and shoes. Might go bow tie but still up in the air. Initially I was thinking my monks in 'british tan'

But then I don't want them to be too 'bright'. If not these, perhaps something in a darker brown or merlot?

Any thoughts on these ideas? We'll move into dinner room around 530 and the whole thing will be over by 9:30. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JSDNJ

Reaction score
Ties, either shepard's check or glen plaid:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shepherds+check+ties&qpvt=shepards+check+ties

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=glen+plaid+wedding+ties&qpvt=glen+plaid+wedding+ties

Shoes should be black or very close to black

Don't get a suit that is too "modern" in cut. It will look very dated
when the short tight jacket look passes.
Thanks for the reply. Why do you say the shoes should be black? Wont that be too jarring with a mid blue suit? I have this tie that I was considering.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think that a mid-blue suit looks best with black shoes (indeed, this is exactly what I wore for my wedding last spring). Darker navies pari better with brown or burgundy shoes because they take on a richer, almost purplish hue whereas the boldness of a medium blue is better paired with black IMO. More of a "pop". But that's just IMO.

What's your budget? FWIW, I think your choice for that shade of blue is fantastic for an evening wedding (then again, I'm biased) and I agree with the above about not going too "modern" a cut. Between the ones you posted, I'd tend towards the Ludlow, but that's just because I've found J Crew fits me better than SS and it's easier to size suits sold as separates.

This is another option, though honestly I've heard mixed reviews about the quality (but price is quite good):

http://www.ctshirts.com/mens-suits/...t?q=usddefault||epa24nav|||||||||||||&ppp=143

I like is the availability of a vest.

It's also worth keeping an eye out on Gilt for their line of Martin Greenfield suits, to see when they may have one in the right color. They are usually about $1k.

As to the tie, I like the one you picked out, though you'll have to see how it looks with the suit. If you wear one like that, though, definitely go with black shoes. Personally, with that combo of suit/shirt I'd likely tend towards a solid silver like this (or perhaps a little darker):

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Solid...?dwvar_A451_Color=BLCK&contentpos=2&cgid=0210

123abc

Reaction score
I can't imagine that suit color wouldn't look great with merlot/burgandy shoes. I don't have that shade blue but now I want it to see how it looks with my merlot PA's! I vote merlot shoes.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I would echo what others have said about the suit cut. Black or merlot shoes and definitely lace-ups. No monks to your own wedding.

JSDNJ

Reaction score
All good info guys, thanks.

I guess maybe I just felt that my black cap toes were a bit boring? I like to have a little more 'fun' with the shoe I guess. Is it the color that you're opposed to or just the fact that its a monk? I also own these: (I love that this forum allows image uploads)

The cap toe is a somewhat ****** Kenneth Cole shoe in burgundy that looks reddish in daylight, and the wing is a slightly better CH in British Tan. Id like to avoid buying new shoes if I can help it.

As for ties, I also have a silver herringbone CT Shirts tie as well as a skinny grey/silver knit tie from the tie bar as options.

http://www.thetiebar.com/product/25191

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Woven-sli...Mini-herringbone|tv509slv|||||||||||||&ppp=87

By the way, that CT suit looks great. I don't have a tailor around me that I trust though, and was definitely hoping to see someone in person. Does CT have physical stores?

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, that CT suit looks great. I don't have a tailor around me that I trust though, and was definitely hoping to see someone in person. Does CT have physical stores?

They have several in NYC as well as DC and Chicago (maybe others too?). Like J Crew, they sell as separates so can take different trouser/jacket size if needed.

JSDNJ

Reaction score
They have several in NYC as well as DC and Chicago (maybe others too?). Like J Crew, they sell as separates so can take different trouser/jacket size if needed.

I'll have to see if they do tailoring like SS and check them out.

I think I am pretty sold on a blue suit if just a tad lighter than Navy. I'll worry about the shoes and tie after that.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll have to see if they do tailoring like SS and check them out.

I think I am pretty sold on a blue suit if just a tad lighter than Navy. I'll worry about the shoes and tie after that.

They may do tailoring, but if it's anything like SS then STAY THE **** AWAY. They don't have real tailors there, and it's well worth the (modest) investment of time and money to find and pay for a good (hell, even half-decent) independent one vs. the one at the shop. That's particularly true of shops selling sub-$1k suits.

JSDNJ

Reaction score
So I did some shopping the other day while in Manhattan. I live in NJ and while it's easy to get into the city I'd prefer to avoid it if I could, but since I was there I checked out SuitSupply and CT.

At SS they still have the winter stuff and I looked at a couple of blues but they didn't seem to have much there in stock. The sales guy was nice and he brought out a Jort in blue for me to try. I normally wear a 38 or 40 but for some reason the Jort fit me in a 42. I liked how it looked, and fit, but patch pockets and lack of construction make it feel too informal to get married in to me, I dunno.

Then I went uptown to CT. I looked at the suit linked earlier in this thread which I really liked, as well as this one suit from their spring line.

http://www.ctshirts.com/mens-suits/...=usddefault||epa34blu|||||407,||||||||&ppp=84

For some reason, the jackets fit differently even when trying on the same size. Which blue do you think is more appropriate?

Can anyone comment on the quality for dollar of a CT Suit, vs SS. vs J Crew (I can go to short hills mall much easier than NYC)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads