• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

looking for shoes in l.a.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i spent the day looking for a pair of medium brown shoes, preferably a plain wingtip.

first i went to barneys, then saks, then faconnable, then neiman marcus. they all had the same styles. nothing really spoke to me except for some "calzolaria harris" shoes at barneys. they were too dark though, and at $550, beyond my price limit.

let me say that i've decided i don't like the faux patina or faux antique look. these shoes look cool to me on the internet, but in person the look is cheesy, phony, and the antiquing makes the leather look cheap and usually too shiny. this applies to every brand from prada to john lobb.

i then went to the camper store on robertson, the john varvatos store on melrose, and the ted baker store on robertson. everything was overly stylized. as a side note, while exiting the ted baker store, a family of tourists walked in and mistook me for a store employee. at first i was a bit offended, but then i thought, everyone who works there is young, stylish, and good-looking, so maybe it's not such an insult.
smile.gif

then i tried a store on melrose called "gemelli". i asked the salesman if the shoes were goodyear welted, blake stitched, or what. after examining the shoe for a few seconds, he proclaimed, "it is the best kind of stitching ever."

i went to the paul smith store, also on melrose, and everything was too fashiony. the shoes cost between $380 and $450, and are made in india. the whole store has an 'india as british colony' vibe to it, but with a lot of pink.

i'll be calling ron rider on monday.

andrebaron

Reaction score
hilarious--I did the same thing on monday---and I was shocked, shocked at the lack of variety at Barney's--and especially Neiman's. Barney's LA really trimmed back---I got beautiful fenstrier dress shoes from them years ago. Now they lost their shirt--and their shirts.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
as a side note, while exiting the ted baker store, a family of tourists walked in and mistook me for a store employee. at first i was a bit offended, but then i thought, everyone who works there is young, stylish, and good-looking, so maybe it's not such an insult.
smile.gif

This happens to me every time I go into a store. Furthermore I know why if you are even in the slightest bit well dressed and if your are wearing a jacket then you are too well dressed to be anyone other than someone in dress code. I even once proclaimed to an African family "You see a well dressed white man in a store and you immediately think he works there"

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Barney's in LA is carrying the C&J Stanley blucher in brown suede. It's beautiful, but maybe not for $600 or whatever they charge.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i spent the day looking for a pair of medium brown shoes, preferably a plain wingtip.
How about these:

76550.jpg

- the "jcusey".
thumbs-up.gif
biggrin.gif

(I assume that's what you meant by a plain wingtip...?)

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Nobody walks in LA.

Good one. That would explain the footwear wasteland that is L.A.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
How about these:

76550.jpg

- the "jcusey".
thumbs-up.gif
biggrin.gif

(I assume that's what you meant by a plain wingtip...?)

i don't like that shoe. i've inquired about this one:
315.jpg

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
Good one. That would explain the footwear wasteland that is L.A.
actually, l.a. is a great shoe shopping city, if you're into really expensive sneakers. also, there are plenty of quality shoes around, just nothing that struck my fancy in terms of looks. much of what i saw was bland to me, but would be the delight of most on this forum. (the guys who like allen edmonds). the rest would be more appreciated by the streetwear crowd. i guess i'm somewhere in between.

Reaction score
Right on about the sneakers, there is no where better than LA for "exclusive" sneakers.

However, as far as I can tell, only RL on Rodeo (RLPL/EG & CJ) & Carroll & Co (Alden) sell any selection of high end dress shoes. Barney's sells Prada, Ferragamo & Harris, with one or two Crockett & Jones-the suede you mentioned ($650) & a boot. These (along with the suits) are primarily sold to tourists visiting from out of town or to studios for productions.

Like a lot of dress clothing, it appears that the market is too small in LA to support smaller brands. The market seems to say that if you want them, you can afford to (and regularly do) travel to NY, London or Tokyo.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Lattanzis in the Brioni boutique on Rodeo. Hilary from EG was just at the BH Ralph Lauren training them on how to fit EG shoes, so perhaps a larger selection of EGs may be available there now.

--Andre

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take your shoe money and buy an airticket to Paris. Return with no new shoes. Just as you started. Except that you went to Paris.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads