• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For Sensible But Stylish Leather Wallet

Jerry52

Reaction score
Generally I'm not too lavish with my wardrobe (although I am trying to upgrade) but I've always placed special importance in dress shoes, which I've covered in another thread, and wallets. I don't buy a new wallet too often, actually maybe every ten years or so, so I make a big deal of it. Now I'm looking.

I'd like a fairly "large" or at least average sized wallet in width and height when closed and prefer the kind that opens with the special ID window lifting up from the left side. I think this may be known as the "pass case" style. And I want the flip up ID holder to be permanently attached by a leather flap, NOT removable! Pet peeve!

An alternative style would be where the wallet opens like above, but then the ID window folds out to the left once it's open, instead of lifting up. An example of this type is the Bosca Correspondent.

I'm not sure about my feeling about inside zippers or snaps. I'd think them optional at best.

I'm in a limited shopping area, and in person I've only seen some offerings from Bosca and Tumi. Some think these are the two best brands, but I figure there may be some more options.

I'm looking for beautiful grain, maybe even something more "exotic" like ostrich, but I'm not certain if the exotic materials really wear as well as more "conventional" types of leather. My own taste is to black, but I'm open to a dark brown or "mahogany."

My hope is to stay below $100.

So, please tell me your discoveries in a stylish yet practical wallet, well-made and durable but with some really nice graining.
Suggestions of good retail stores or online sellers would also be appreciated. Thank you!
smile.gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the same Barantani wallet in dark brown. Very smooth leather given the price. I love the feel of it when I empty my pockets onto my night table at the end of the day. I purchased mine for $32, well below your target budget.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know much about wallets. I will only give you the advice that I give my wife about purses. Buy something smaller than you think you need. The bigger your wallet, the more crap you end up carrying around. There is nothing good about having more crap than you absolutly need.

Jerry52

Reaction score
I've been away for a while. Thank you all for your replies. The Barantini wallet looked pretty although nice not the version I'm after but they may have others from Barantini.

I've never seen Coach but a store recently opened in my area, which I haven't yet visited. From a quick look online though it seems their wallets are above $100.

I think Coach is also carried by some larger Dillard department stores.

Several years ago (OK many) I bought a nice wallet at a Marshall Field's department store in Dallas at the Galleria. Then Field's closed their Texas stores, now Field's is completely gone, swallowed by Macy's as they try to have a national presence to compete with Wal-Mart. Something ELSE to blame Wal-Mart for- the disappearance of many fine regional department stores in the "Macy-fication" of America!

I wonder if anyone else misses Marshall Field's? I sure do. It stood for elegance and tradition even if it was more memory than reality near the end.

And the advice about "size matters." So true! The more room you have the easier to fill it. I'm a pack-rat so often my wallet DOES substitute for an electronic organizer, LOL!

I'm still open to more suggestions for a wallet. And for a store or online store with a comprehensive selection of finer brands.

Thanks,
Jerry

Rolo

Reaction score
I love this description of one of the Barantani wallets on STP:

"this is the perfect choice for your money-carrying needs"

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JPeterman carries one, made of baseball glove, leather. I think it's a hoot. Had one, for many, many years.
1004_175.jpg

Jerry52

Reaction score
Very good! The more spent on it the less to stuff in it! Oh well!

Jerry52

Reaction score
Is this the outfit that the SEINFELD character was based on? So they really exist! What does it cost?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
Looking For Sensible But Stylish Leather Wallet

You lost me at sensible.
blush.gif

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
You lost me at sensible.
blush.gif

That's OK- I lose myself frequently so I keep it in the equation just for self-control!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads