• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for respected vest maker in Naples, London or New York?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Will makes a good point. I picked Rubinacci essentially by default, given his unique accessibility. I can't imagine what a pain it might have been to deal with a more locally confined tailor in Naples.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This 3 tier or even 2 tier suit making adventure is OFFICIALLY OVER

I imagined while traveling to Greece, I could stop in Naples for a day to get measured and make my orders.

About a week later, I would fly back home, stop to Naples, in order to do fittings for the suit/trousers

They would then do further work and mail it when ready....no rush after I leave Naples (since I figured this was how Mafoofan did it)

Problem is YOU CAN"T RUSH QUALITY...even though I know some tailors offer rush jobs

The convenience of my current tailor is that he's within 25 minutes of my work and I can keep taking my suits back for numerous fittings. But I do desire to find a new tailor (both because he's retiring and I want to see if I can make a better suit design/fit/construction with another tailor...and I figure why not try the Neopolitan style to see if this is what looks and feels good on me

If I try the suit route in Naples, I won't have the benefit of numerous fittings (one of the joys of bespoke and the reason why I'm willing to pay more....in order to have a properly fitted suit)

And then if I want more suits, I won't be going back to Naples for fittings...so this kills the idea of subsequent orders (I am not willing to buy 4-6 suits at once considering it will take some fittings and adjustments to my pattern to perfect it)

But I think the trouser route might not be so daunting given a single fitting (after measurement) might be enough to do the job right

Looks like I'm looking for a new tailor closer to home...but for odd trousers, I might just visit Napoli after all

Side note: Mafoofan, did you have only one fitting with Rubinacci for your odd jacket/suits...or have you seen them in Naples or London...or even New York since your blog about Naples last year?

Everyone thanks for saving me the anguish & costs of trying the 2 or 3 way so to speak

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually had two fittings in Naples after my initial measurements were taken. There was then a subsequent fitting in New York City.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI:
Ambrosi would make the pants of a Pirozzi suit ONLY if they travelled together to the U.S. Otherwise, Pirozzi has another maker in Napoli.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T4phage, why would Pirozzi choose such an arrangment with Ambrosi

Based on comments noted on this forum by others, including Manton, I inquired of Ambrosi as to whether they do trousers for others

Ambrosi unequivocally said no and asked where I got this information... so I just sent him a link to this site

So there you have it...Ambrosi said he only makes trousers for his own clients...not anothers clients

By Tuesday I might have another e-mail post at my work with a further update

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
T4phage, why would Pirozzi choose such an arrangment with Ambrosi

Based on comments noted on this forum by others, including Manton, I inquired of Ambrosi as to whether they do trousers for others

Ambrosi unequivocally said no and asked where I got this information... so I just sent him a link to this site

So there you have it...Ambrosi said he only makes trousers for his own clients...not anothers clients

By Tuesday I might have another e-mail post at my work with a further update

I'm confused: what exactly is your motive here? Why does it matter who Ambrosi does or does not make pants for? Who chooses a tailor based on the trouser maker he uses? Perhaps you should reconsider how you're going about this.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They would make that arrangement to share clients and bring each other business. If An Ambrosi client wants a suit he is introduced to Pirozzi or vice versa. They both gain work and a client from the transaction.

It is wise for Ambrosi not to discuss who or if he makes trousers for other tailors.
There was a manufacturer who bragged about which retailers he made garments for and eventually lost those retail clients. Think about it.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP should consider carefully what the last two posters have written, and then rethink his strategy.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoofan, it makes no difference to me who makes pants for Pirozzi or the ultimate suit maker I choose, sorry if I wasn't clear on this

So thus it makes no different now as to whether Ambrosi or not makes the trousers

I hope that answers your question
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Despos, your point is quite interesting

T4phage, it seems I won't try Naples for suits after all since I won't be able to make visits there regularly for fittings and Pirozzi for example, has not committed to regular visits to New York or to parts unknown (I'm just not in the financial position to jet set

At most, I can try Ambrosi for odd trousers (or my suit trousers if I defy conventional wisdom) when I visit Europe in November since Ambrosi can do everything within a week

Ambrosi is contemplating visiting San Francisco which is a mere 1 hour flight from Los Angeles, yet at 650 euros in S.F., compared to 350 euros in Naples, I might just visit him in Naples as I noted above

Alessandro Mortorana is in town and I plan on seeing him today, he can be contacted at [email protected]. He quoted starting prices of $3200 for a 2 piece suit with his fabrics for L.A. customers

Sleevehead wrote he's considering opening up an Atelier and I want to gauge as to what will be available for his future clients. He claims to have 25 tailors working for him from Naples and Sicily. I'll get a better idea of his style and what he makes and update everyone else

This might be what I was looking for considering he'll be here often and possibly opening up on atelier

Anyone have anymore information on him, please post and thanks to everyone for help

As to Ambrosi, he would commit to a Los Angeles visit if I can get 12 customers to order 3 trousers each (thats 36 trousers). Thus if there are interested folks, contact Ambrosi and keep us updated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads