• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for recommendations for western belts

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking for western belts with great craftsmanship which cost less than $200. I can only find these belts from fortela and Brunello Cucinelli but they are overpriced. For the others that I found on Google, quality is questionable.

109850225_1003163733436571_2719215810371661837_n.jpg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get mine made by Don’t Mourn, Organize! (Aka Scott Willis) in Utah.

33BC8819-9E6A-4311-9134-4471D68FA7F1.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been spending a lot of time looking up old Western belt buckles online.

s-l1600 (1).jpeg
bel2.jpeg
bel1.jpeg
bel11.jpeg
bel22.jpeg
belt3.jpeg
belt5.jpeg
belt6.jpeg
belt9.jpeg
belt8.jpeg
vogt-silversmiths-western-buckles-the-laredo-071-251-5-11891067846690_800x.jpeg
bel4.jpeg

I ended up buying this. Buckle below is made by a Native American artist named Anderson Parkett Jr. Going to put it on a tan or medium brown tapered strap.

s-l1600 (2).jpeg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to honestly buy more but I always feel like getting a belt made for it is always a pain. One time I went to a local cobbler and he literally slapped my belt buckle on some ****** plasticy feeling "leather" then I went the Etsy route and it took like 2 months too long just for a blank.

I just want some quality belts dang it. However in the future I definitely plan on getting more.

I'm a sucker for Mexican Piteado belts too

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I want to honestly buy more but I always feel like getting a belt made for it is always a pain. One time I went to a local cobbler and he literally slapped my belt buckle on some ****** plasticy feeling "leather" then I went the Etsy route and it took like 2 months too long just for a blank.

I just want some quality belts dang it. However in the future I definitely plan on getting more.

I'm a sucker for Mexican Piteado belts too

I've been using Ken at Custom Leather Belts. I find it hard to navigate his website, but he can basically make a bridle or harness strap for almost any buckle. And he's easy to work with if you just communicate what you want over email.

I bought a black bridle leather belt with a standard Tory Leather buckle from him. It's basically the same as this Monitaly belt, but not extra long. Cost me something like $75, which I think is reasonably cheap

M26905-Extended-1inch-Creased-Belt-with-3-pc-Silver-Buckle-Set,-Black.png

Sounds like @havensk can do the same and it would be nice to support people in the community.

Kind of tempted by this from Silver Ostrich

S_N_0007__FZ87928.jpeg

And getting something from Foothills

130730793_384272962660150_8016430938809707423_n.jpg

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to cop belt with following features:
- Sterling silver embossed 3 piece western buckle
- Tooled tapered belt
- Brown aniline dye

Excellent example worn here by Kermit, who is usually naked so when he dresses up we know something's up.

1621952594336.png

havensk

Reaction score
I've been using Ken at Custom Leather Belts. I find it hard to navigate his website, but he can basically make a bridle or harness strap for almost any buckle. And he's easy to work with if you just communicate what you want over email.

I bought a black bridle leather belt with a standard Tory Leather buckle from him. It's basically the same as this Monitaly belt, but not extra long. Cost me something like $75, which I think is reasonably cheap

View attachment 1614505

Sounds like @havensk can do the same and it would be nice to support people in the community.

Kind of tempted by this from Silver Ostrich

View attachment 1614501

And getting something from Foothills

View attachment 1614502
That Silver Ostrich buckle is gorgeous. The hardest part is sourcing the buckles. I've found some gorgeous ones before that then somebody wants me to duplicate and I can't find the buckle anymore.

I've been liking these ones with smaller buckles where the strap tapers at the ends.
1621970641529.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That Silver Ostrich buckle is gorgeous. The hardest part is sourcing the buckles. I've found some gorgeous ones before that then somebody wants me to duplicate and I can't find the buckle anymore.

I've been liking these ones with smaller buckles where the strap tapers at the ends.
View attachment 1615385

I think those are called ranger belts, right?

I've been wondering who supplies these buckles. From Googling around, it seems that many custom leather belt companies get their buckles from Tandy and Tory. Then you have some high end companies that source their buckles either in-house or from small-quantity silversmiths, like those companies in New Mexico.

I wonder if that's the entirety of the market? Two mass suppliers and then a bunch of small silversmiths?

havensk

Reaction score
I think those are called ranger belts, right?

I've been wondering who supplies these buckles. From Googling around, it seems that many custom leather belt companies get their buckles from Tandy and Tory. Then you have some high end companies that source their buckles either in-house or from small-quantity silversmiths, like those companies in New Mexico.

I wonder if that's the entirety of the market? Two mass suppliers and then a bunch of small silversmiths?
Basically you are dead on. I don't even think Tandy produces them so much as purchases batches of them from China the same as all the other hardware suppliers (this is not a knock against the quality, I'm surprised at the detail you can get out of mass produced buckles like these), and then you have the small batch guys doing amazing but expensive sterling silver works of art.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I get mine made by Don’t Mourn, Organize! (Aka Scott Willis) in Utah.

View attachment 1611152
I've also got one made by Scott. A warning: I got mine in a double horsehide leather. Horsehide is already thick and tough, but a DOUBLE literally means two layers of leather. This is not meant to criticize Scott's work, I have other belts from him that I love, I just didn't fully understand what I was getting into. Anyway, it's very very thick and very very tough (think gun holster-like). I find it so uncomfortable that I'm about to donate it to goodwill, unless someone here is interested in getting it for cheap + shipping.

Basically you are dead on. I don't even think Tandy produces them so much as purchases batches of them from China the same as all the other hardware suppliers (this is not a knock against the quality, I'm surprised at the detail you can get out of mass produced buckles like these), and then you have the small batch guys doing amazing but expensive sterling silver works of art.
If we found a silversmith to partner with and make a small run of three-piece buckle sets in silver, would that bring down the cost a little since it's not a one-off?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

China makes sense. The prices I've seen from those custom leather belt makers (about $100-ish for a custom-made belt with a Tandy or Tory buckle) is so far from the niche suppliers (say, upwards of a thousand dollars for a belt). I assume the cost of the Tandy/ Tory buckle is reasonably low.

Are there any niche silversmiths in this area that you like?

havensk

Reaction score
China makes sense. The prices I've seen from those custom leather belt makers (about $100-ish for a custom-made belt with a Tandy or Tory buckle) is so far from the niche suppliers (say, upwards of a thousand dollars for a belt). I assume the cost of the Tandy/ Tory buckle is reasonably low.

Are there any niche silversmiths in this area that you like?
For the stuff I make, it wouldn't make sense as I'd have to charge like $500 for a belt and most of that would go towards buying the buckles, but if you search for sterling silver western buckles on ebay you'll see some pretty amazing stuff.

I mean wow

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DoubleDouble mine is also double layered horsehide but I like it. I have successfully broken in a 8mm thick saddle leather belt so nothing scares me anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads