• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for recommendations for thicker high quality socks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Backstory:
Took the car in to have tyres rotated & rebalanced Saturday. As usual I just started walking around the area doing some shopping while I was waiting. Wore my RM Williams which I have walked several miles in previously with no problems. Due to a tactical error the socks I wore were not particularly good and I ended up with three blisters, two of which were right where the seam was on the toes.
So, my question is this:
I know that Pantherella, among others, makes socks with comfortable or almost unnoticeable toe seams (whatever that is called) but is there a manufacturer that makes thicker socks as good as that?
I have only seen dress socks and slightly thicker socks from Pantherella before.
Extra points if they come in deranged colours!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Smartwool and Rohner. I get both from stp.

Thanks Tom. ANy specific model or range?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
No problem Stelios...It depends on how thick you want to get. They both make everything from "walking" to expedition weight. Smartwool's walking socks are maybe twice as thick as average dress socks, which isn't much. Expedition weight is good for serious expeditions or slippers, not much else. Especially in the desert
biggrin.gif
I think most of mine are trekking weight, which is good for walking around in the winter in NYC. My feet get hot really quickly and sweat a lot, as a reference point.

One thing to look for is a long calf, longer than you usually get. The normal length is just long enough to poke out the top of a hiking boot, and the Rohners especially are prone to slip down.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
No problem Stelios...It depends on how thick you want to get. They both make everything from "walking" to expedition weight. Smartwool's walking socks are maybe twice as thick as average dress socks, which isn't much. Expedition weight is good for serious expeditions or slippers, not much else. Especially in the desert
biggrin.gif
I think most of mine are trekking weight, which is good for walking around in the winter in NYC. My feet get hot really quickly and sweat a lot, as a reference point.

One thing to look for is a long calf, longer than you usually get. The normal length is just long enough to poke out the top of a hiking boot, and the Rohners especially are prone to slip down.

Thanks for the advice regarding height. The Rohner's just have weaker elastic then?
I assume that the toe stitching/link is less obtrusive, correct?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Smartwool's heavier models don't have a toe seam at all. Their lighter ones, as well as Rohner's have a seam that is very discreet, and is on the outside of the sock where it belongs anyway. I don't know what's up with the elastic in the Rohners, it's like they decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe newer or higher-topped versions are different, I don't know. It's too bad, because otherwise they are really outstanding.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
SmartWool as well and ThorLo may be a possibility.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Emma Willis sells very heavy shooting socks...

bookish

Reaction score
Lands' End merino wool socks are worth considering, though their main line is of average thickness. They have thin, unobtrusive seams, hold up very well and hardly pill at all.

I had some Smartwool socks a couple years back and they pilled horribly - after a couple months they looked like bad shag carpet.

I wear the same Lands' End socks to the office and while out riding my horse (under boots, obviously). They still look great. Get 6 or 9 pair and rotate them. I've not walked more than a few miles in them at a time, but they seem suited for hiking as well.

LE has some "active" socks as well, but I haven't tried them.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought ten pairs of these on sale here in Norway - they seem to be more or less what you're looking for, as the toe seams seem to be "seamless", that is whole-knit. I also liked the red tops.
DSC01392.jpg
turyiuriu.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I just bought ten pairs of these on sale here in Norway - they seem to be more or less what you're looking for, as the toe seams seem to be "seamless", that is whole-knit. I also liked the red tops.

DSC01392.jpg

turyiuriu.jpg

Those look good. As I am not in Norway
smile.gif
, any idea of there are any online distributors?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Those look good. As I am not in Norway
smile.gif
, any idea of there are any online distributors?

No idea, just found them by coincidence. I'll have a look around, though - the brand is fairly well-known here. Edit: And they have a sale: http://www.wolseyonline.com/
Wolsey is one of the oldest textile companies in Europe and renowned for producing quality, classic menswear. The range includes outerwear, underwear, and of course socks. Whether you are a small or kingsize, there is classic Wolsey clothing perfect for you. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Their heritage spans 250 years and they are very proud to hold two Royal Warrants for services to the British Royal Households. The Wolsey name, inspired by Cardinal Wolsey, has a unique heritage and status within the textile industry with the company's past, present and future firmly rooted in Leicester.
Knee socks[/FONT]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics