• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for professional type gray mid/narrow wale corduroy trousers - where?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for a polished, semi-professional pair of mid-to-dark gray, mid/narrow 10-or better wale corduroy trousers and just can't seem to find any. Just to be clear, I'm looking for gentlemen's type trousers here; side slash pockets, a regular fit without skinny legs or low rise stuff.

I got a pair of Incotex that the rise was too short (plug: I'm selling them in sig) and I just got a pair of non-returnable Canali's that were too slim (surprising, since most Canali trousers I've had have been generous sized), those will be on B&S by tomorrow. I have found the Lands End ones, but at 8 wale, they're a bit too casual plus I hate the flaps on the back pockets.

In years past I thought they were all over the place, but this year gray seems to be "out", or am I missing somewhere obvious? All the other usual places - jpress, bb, orvis, etc. - nobody seems to have them.

Appreciation to anyone who has pointers!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Follow up - cross posting from Recent Purchases just in case someone else finds it useful. The hunt for these was way, way longer than I thought it would be. I figured they'd be everywhere, but - nope. Apparently, very hard to find - at least this season (which is the first time I'd ever been looking):

I've been on the hunt for some nice, light-to-mid grey trouser style corduroys (much harder to find than it sounds!) and scored these zegna cashco's off the bay for a fair price. Just received them today and they are fantastic - wears like corduroy, presents as stylish, and super soft. Not a purchase that's in the same league as the stunners that others have been reeling in here recently, but it's a rewarding end to a much-longer-than-I-ever-thought-it-would-be search.

Tomorrow is drop off at the tailors for some prep and then I need some cold weather to return to Florida so I can get 'em into action.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, for me the idea of gray cords feels like an awkward mash of a formal colour with an informal fabric. I wouldn't wear gray chinos, and I wouldn't wear gray cords either...maybe this is why they were so hard to find? :/

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I dunno, for me the idea of gray cords feels like an awkward mash of a formal colour with an informal fabric. I wouldn't wear gray chinos, and I wouldn't wear gray cords either...maybe this is why they were so hard to find? :/

That's interesting; I suppose I was so smitten with the idea I hadn't considered they may be an abomination of sorts. I will note that I was looking specifically for the trouser configuration (as you said with the chinos) and not the "jeans" variety. Still, I'm only thinking about them for cold weather romping (well, as cold as it gets in Florida, which is at best, more like a deep Fall) and think they'll stand in great with other fall staples.

You may be right though - maybe they were hard to find because, well, they shouldn't be done. We'll see :)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last winter I bought a pair of gray cords as the original poster describes and they are among my favorite (winter) business casual trousers. They're as easy to color coordinate as mid-gray flannels and I find similar uses for them (for example, I wear them with a navy blazer or any darker blue, textured jackets). They are also wool rather than cotton corduroy, so they are lighter weight, but just as warm as my other cords. I like them a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads