• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for polo/golf shirt recommendation (for office)

new obsession

Reaction score
As warmer weather has started to set in, I have noticed that my office is getting VERY hot. I share thermostat control with three other offices, so I have little say in the setting. I have a fear that in the dog days the office will be intolerable. I have decided to stock up on polo/golf shirts that are office appropriate in case I am forced to go true 'business casual' as a reult.....

Question

Can anyone recommend a good source for work appropriate polo/golf shirts? I am looking for something that will not look worn and unkept after one washing. the sort of thing you can wear under a sport coat and with trousers, as opposed to wearing it un-tucked with cargo shorts and the collar popped
tounge.gif
(the last discussions I saw on this were a while ago, times change, styles change, and options change)

Any input is appreciated... (Yes I know some of you are offended by this but I think my survival and comfort trumps)...(I have thought about wearing my actual golf shirts, but I am not sure that Under Armour is the look I am going for)

Thanks...

Omegablogger

Reaction score
I think John Smedley has some polo style tops that may pass muster in a relaxed business casual environment.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I can chime in here. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago to get information about nice polo shirts and got some good suggestions. I've also done some research since then. Here's the way it looks to me.

A nice polo can look very good in certain situations, but a cheap one will look crappy once it has been worn for a while and washed a couple of times. Here are the really nice ones I've discovered:

Brioni - some Brioni polos have a quite structured collar--like a dress-shirt collar--which I quite like.

Avon Celli - again a more structured collar is available although not common.

Brunello Cucinelli

Loro Piana

John Smedley - The Smedleys have the softest (Sea Island) cotton I've encountered on a polo and a different weave from the more usual pique.

Kiton

I've purchased polos by Brioni, Avon Celli, Loro Piana, and Smedley.

A step below this quality level, you'll find the Ralph Lauren Purple Label polos. These are usually in the typical pique weave and are quite nice, but not exceptional in any way. From there, you have the RL Polo line, Lacoste, and many, many others that are OK, I suppose, but not something I'd wear to the office.

I'm sure I've missed a few good ones here, but others will contribute, I'm sure. You should check out eBay, along with World's Finest and VirtualClothesHorse, for top-tier polos.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Fi...eNameZl2QQtZkm

http://virtualclotheshorse.com/index...4189b449ade009

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Well, I can chime in here. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago to get information about nice polo shirts and got some good suggestions. I've also done some research since then. Here's the way it looks to me.

A nice polo can look very good in certain situations, but a cheap one will look crappy once it has been worn for a while and washed a couple of times. Here are the really nice ones I've discovered:

Brioni - some Brioni polos have a quite structured collar--like a dress-shirt collar--which I quite like.

Avon Celli - again a more structured collar is available although not common.

Brunello Cucinelli

Loro Piana

John Smedley - The Smedleys have the softest (Sea Island) cotton I've encountered on a polo and a different weave from the more usual pique.

Kiton

I've purchased polos by Brioni, Avon Celli, Loro Piana, and Smedley.

A step below this quality level, you'll find the Ralph Lauren Purple Label polos. These are usually in the typical pique weave and are quite nice, but not exceptional in any way. From there, you have the RL Polo line, Lacoste, and many, many others that are OK, I suppose, but not something I'd wear to the office.

I'm sure I've missed a few good ones here, but others will contribute, I'm sure. You should check out eBay, along with World's Finest and VirtualClothesHorse, for top-tier polos.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Worlds-Fi...eNameZl2QQtZkm

http://virtualclotheshorse.com/index...4189b449ade009

I'm pretty fond of RLPL's lisle polos, which are the ones that aren't pique. They seem to hold up really well and are very soft and comfortable.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have RLPL and Cucinelli.. both are nice.

I'm looking to add a couple of Loro Piana before the season is out.

new obsession

Reaction score
That is the kind of information I was looking for, thanks Roger. Guess I missed your post, sometimes the search button and I don't see eye to eye...

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from golf shirts man. The fit is great for golf, terrible for style.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Stay away from golf shirts man. The fit is great for golf, terrible for style.

I agree, I use the term 'golf shirt' to highlight the style, short sleeve, knit, collar, etc... not the actual shirt. Specifically I am looking more to a slim fit, and to that end, plan on spending some time in the slim fit shirt thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads