• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first watch

Hitokiri03

Reaction score
I am looking to get my first watch. I am wanting something that is simply stated: white face, no roman numerals, no crazy large numbers, and one that won't look disproportional on my wrist/forearm. I am also looking for something under $350. My wrist is 2.5 inches wide, my forearm is about 3.6 inches wide at its widest point, and my forearm is about 12 inches long from wrist to elbow. I am graduating college in May with my mechanical engineering degree and I will be getting married in July
bigstar[1].gif
. My fiancee is wanting to get me a nice watch for graduation, or when she can get the money. I would love some help from the gentlemen on the Style Forum. Thanks!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hitokiri03
I am looking to get my first watch. I am wanting something that is simply stated: white face, no roman numerals, no crazy large numbers, and one that won't look disproportional on my wrist/forearm. I am also looking for something under $350. My wrist is 2.5 inches wide, my forearm is about 3.6 inches wide at its widest point, and my forearm is about 12 inches long from wrist to elbow. I am graduating college in May with my mechanical engineering degree and I will be getting married in July
bigstar[1].gif
. My fiancee is wanting to get me a nice watch for graduation, or when she can get the money. I would love some help from the gentlemen on the Style Forum. Thanks!

she'll be a great wife if she gets you a Patek philippe calatrava

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Seiko SKK645
SEIKO%20SKK645P1_11.jpg
Seiko SKK647
SKK647P.JPG
Don't know too much about watches but those two came to mind as I was recently looking for a watch similar to what you're looking for. If you don't want a leather band maybe try looking at the Seiko 5 Automatic Series.

Hitokiri03

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
she'll be a great wife if she gets you a Patek philippe calatrava

Yes, yes she would, but that will not happen.

Hitokiri03

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
Seiko SKK645

SEIKO%20SKK645P1_11.jpg

Seiko SKK647

SKK647P.JPG

Don't know too much about watches but those two came to mind as I was recently looking for a watch similar to what you're looking for.

If you don't want a leather band maybe try looking at the Seiko 5 Automatic Series.

I like the look of the SKK645, but will the case look too small on my wrist?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps more than you want to spend at $550 shipped + customs to the US, but a very nice, well-made, elegant watch.

Archimede Arcadia.
Automatic. ETA 2824-2 movement. 42mm case.

7919-A25-40.jpg

7919-A23-web-top.jpg

7919-A23-dia.jpg

7919-A2-rs-rotor.jpg

wristshot175

Bandit44

Reaction score
Check watch forums like timezone or watchuseek. You can find a lot of deals on pristine watches for about half the price of a new watch. With your budget, I'd look for a Hamilton Jazzmaster or Seiko.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suggestions are spot-on. Surprised we haven't gotten the "you can't get a watch under 2000 dollars comments yet"

An automatic Seiko would be a great watch in that budget and I also agree that Archimede makes very nice watches for cheap.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandit44
Check watch forums like timezone or watchuseek. You can find a lot of deals on pristine watches for about half the price of a new watch. With your budget, I'd look for a Hamilton Jazzmaster or Seiko.

The only problem with places like timezone is that all the guys there seem to favor giant diver's watches more suitable for use as hubcaps. That said, those guys are tremendously knowledgeable and could provide some good suggestions as well as selling you a watch for cheap.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton Khaki handwind. Or any Hamilton handwind.

Swiss movement, solid construction, simple, elegant looks. Done. I have one and LOVE it. (Plus I'm and ME (undergrad at least).) Obviously I know what I'm talking about...

Seriously though, I've never found a better option for a NEW watch. Vintage is a completely different story.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hamilton are very good. Huge choice too. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the best option, as a lot of that is subjective, but they are certainly a very good choice.

Gwarg

Reaction score
Vintage Omega, look around on the watch forums.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by black_umbrella
really? Just my opinon.

No, no, my apologies.
There was another post right above mine, which was clearly spam (and the same post showed up on some other threads). So I posted and then I guess the post was deleted; then your post moved down to be above mine. I'll change my other post. Sorry, definitely not directed at your post.

Wiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
Vintage Omega, look around on the watch forums.

+1

Or a nice Seiko, I have one that i'm very pleased with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics