• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first real pair of oxfords

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a 17 year old in high school I have not had the need to have a pair of proper dress shoes. When I was younger my mother would make me wear brown loafers or boat shoes with Khakis and my navy blue blazer. Now that I own a few suits and I dress up for my job (I am a jewelry designer) I need proper shoes. I have brown suede dress boots I wear with my Navy blue suit, gray suits, etc; but nothing to go with my black suit. I would like a pair of solid black oxfords, or simply "lace-ups." Being 17 I cannot go and buy shoes that are more than $150, so please do not recommend anything more than that. The most important thing other than how the shoe looks is the comfort. I have an issue with a lot of shoes because they do not fit well. Cole Haan is very comfortable and they have some great models at great prices, especially during a sale. I am hoping to buy them at the Tanger Outlet in Riverhead, NY. Other brands that are there that have good shoes are Polo (I don't know what the shoe selection there is like), Allen Edmonds, and Giorgio Armani. I would like to know how the Allen Edmonds prices are at the outlets. I like their styles and I would be happy with them. Armani would also be a plus because of the quality (hand made in Italy), and the comfort is pretty good. There are no other stores there that have good shoes. This is the kind of style I would like (I want leather that has a nice shine and is not too dull)
black-oxford-large.jpg
Thanks!

eMacPaul

Reaction score

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
As a 17 year old in high school I have not had the need to have a pair of proper dress shoes. When I was younger my mother would make me wear brown loafers or boat shoes with Khakis and my navy blue blazer. Now that I own a few suits and I dress up for my job (I am a jewelry designer) I need proper shoes. I have brown suede dress boots I wear with my Navy blue suit, gray suits, etc; but nothing to go with my black suit. I would like a pair of solid black oxfords, or simply "lace-ups." Being 17 I cannot go and buy shoes that are more than $150, so please do not recommend anything more than that. The most important thing other than how the shoe looks is the comfort. I have an issue with a lot of shoes because they do not fit well. Cole Haan is very comfortable and they have some great models at great prices, especially during a sale. I am hoping to buy them at the Tanger Outlet in Riverhead, NY. Other brands that are there that have good shoes are Polo (I don't know what the shoe selection there is like), Allen Edmonds, and Giorgio Armani. I would like to know how the Allen Edmonds prices are at the outlets. I like their styles and I would be happy with them. Armani would also be a plus because of the quality (hand made in Italy), and the comfort is pretty good. There are no other stores there that have good shoes. This is the kind of style I would like (I want leather that has a nice shine and is not too dull) [IM Thanks!
Made in Italy is good quality. . . . black suit. well i guess if you're selling jewelry in De Beers, its a neccessary requirement. or God help us all.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ks, does anyone have any other advice? I would like to hear some AE outlet experiences

Sean Archer

Reaction score
With AE you have to figure out what size you are, and then what last you are. Neither is less important than the other. I lucked out in that my first AE was from Ebay and a 4 last which fits me great. I noticed a lot of AE's have a sideways bend in the shoe which you can see from pictures of the sole. I like bottom of the heel and arch part to be straight, then a widening at the ball of the foot. 0 and 4 last seemed to do that.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never by a shoe on the internet. I would like to assume the staff at their store would know how to find the right pair for me.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Being as your 17 and on a budget, you might consider looking at a pair of Florsheims.

You'd stay within your price range and they are usually available at Penneys or Sears so you could try them on and see how they fit.

Yes, I know the quality is not as good as something more expensive, but considering that your shoe size might still change and you are going to be beating them up at your job everyday, they might be good for now.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
As a 17 year old in high school I have not had the need to have a pair of proper dress shoes. When I was younger my mother would make me wear brown loafers or boat shoes with Khakis and my navy blue blazer. Now that I own a few suits and I dress up for my job (I am a jewelry designer) I need proper shoes. I have brown suede dress boots I wear with my Navy blue suit, gray suits, etc; but nothing to go with my black suit. I would like a pair of solid black oxfords, or simply "lace-ups." Being 17 I cannot go and buy shoes that are more than $150, so please do not recommend anything more than that. The most important thing other than how the shoe looks is the comfort. I have an issue with a lot of shoes because they do not fit well. Cole Haan is very comfortable and they have some great models at great prices, especially during a sale. I am hoping to buy them at the Tanger Outlet in Riverhead, NY. Other brands that are there that have good shoes are Polo (I don't know what the shoe selection there is like), Allen Edmonds, and Giorgio Armani. I would like to know how the Allen Edmonds prices are at the outlets. I like their styles and I would be happy with them. Armani would also be a plus because of the quality (hand made in Italy), and the comfort is pretty good. There are no other stores there that have good shoes.

This is the kind of style I would like (I want leather that has a nice shine and is not too dull)
black-oxford-large.jpg

Thanks!

This is what you should have for the price you want to pay. If you find something similar on Pediwear, I would advise you to buy there. If you want to know why, please PM me. You should know exactly your size and the fit of the shoes. Generally speaking, if you know your English size and fit, you can safely order online. If not, it might be tricky the first time. You can always send the shoe back at your expenses and get better size or fit

acconrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM;2406013[B
]I would never by a shoe on the internet.[/b] I would like to assume the staff at their store would know how to find the right pair for me.
Then you're missing out. I already said it in another thread, but I bought AE PA's off of here for $65 in my size, in black. They're in perfect shape and They're quite a bit cheaper than the sticker price of $325.

oroy38

Reaction score
You also might want to check out Bostonian. Most of their stuff is bluchers though, but I think I saw a set of balmoral captoes on their site somewhere.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
Then you're missing out. I already said it in another thread, but I bought AE PA's off of here for $65 in my size, in black. They're in perfect shape and They're quite a bit cheaper than the sticker price of $325.

I don't want to take the risk, I have done it before and I regret it. I have a different size in every brand, some I have a 9 and in other I can have a 11.5

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the stores and try on various shoes. You need to figure out which shoe will actually fit your foot. $150 on poorly fitting shoes is a mistake.

I think that Bradford's suggestions make sense. As long as you keep the shoes polished, they'll look fine.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the new brands to look at men. I do think I'll just end up at AE, GA and Cole Haan anyway. That is probably my best bet for my location. I am pretty sure I can find a good shoe at the outlet for that price or a little but more, the SA's there are good about lowering prices and offering extra discounts even when there is no sale.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am bumping my thread....Would a 10.5 in Cole Haan oxfords (their higher end kind), translate to the same size in AE?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads