• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first good dress belt

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking black with a nickel/gray colored buckle. Don't really wanna spend more than ~$50 at the moment (but will reconsider if there is something that makes it worthwhile though)

Any suggestions what belt to choose and who to buy it from? (I am located in Toronto Canada if there is someplace local you guys wanna recommend).

Belts from the Buy and Sell are fine too if you are selling something there and want to shamelessly let me know about it. Or any forum members that make belts.

Is getting a belt from a online store a good idea? I was thinking I would be able to get a higher quality belt for the same price all things being equal since a webstore doesn't have to pay rent and salary for salepeople, and other costs. But there are so many online stores, which ones do you recommend?

What should I go by when looking for a belt? Brand? Or something else? I know in the SWD forum they go by thickness of the belt but does that still apply here?

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a dress belt thread somewhere. Lurk more post less

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RalphLauren.com and Hugoboss.com for belts with 1-1.25" width.

Allen Edmonds for 1.5" width.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is a roller buckle for a conservative dress belt a good idea?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
is a roller buckle for a conservation dress belt a good idea?

not really.........you need a simple, polished buckle.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
If you're looking for a classic dress belt then go with a very classic buckle in either silver-colour or brass-colour. Which depends largely on the type of accessories you're wearing, such as watch and cufflinks. And whatever you do, make sure the buckle isn't big.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between a $50 dress belt and a $100 dress belt if it is made from calf skin? In the SWD forum paying more for a belt will get you a thicker belt. So what do I get for paying extra in a dress belt?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Is there a difference between a $50 dress belt and a $100 dress belt if it is made from calf skin? In the SWD forum paying more for a belt will get you a thicker belt. So what do I get for paying extra in a dress belt?

yes

Vecna

Reaction score
There's an Ask A Question thread, you know that.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that price range I would say the Bay (huge selection) or Banana Republic (with a coupon or their outlet). If you can get the cheaper BB ones for that price they are not bad.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I get a belt at the Bay or BR will it last or will I have to get a new one two years later? How is the hardware on the belts, most of the stuff there seems to be of cheap metal. I don't mind paying more for quality if I have to. Of course I don't want to pay more and get a mediocre belt in return, I don't really care about the brand name. And I still don't know what I am getting if I pay more for a belt. I take it leather thickness isn't a big deal with dress belts.

A unrelated question, is stitching or no stitching around the edge of the belt more conservative?

How about looks? A unstitched belt seems to give off the feeling that it is cheap. Is that right? While some stitching on the border doesn't, but will that be too much detail?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
No more new threads please

Stop being a dick. We've never had a thread about belts before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads