• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first decent watch

Which one?

• Stowa

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Tag

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (note what watch in the comments below)

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

thisisfun

Reaction score
If you're like me and enjoy Bauhaus design, look into NOMOS of Glashutte, their prices should be right up your alley.

Or you could go the vintage route if that's your thing.

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Yep - that's my thing....

Its funny how someone always finds a way to hit the top of the budget when you list it. Did I read their website right - a shell cordovan strap and a suede strap comes with each watch?

I love those watches now. I also hate you now.

Now to convince my wife that its okay to spend $2,200 online for a watch...

thisisfun

Reaction score
Yep - that's my thing....

Its funny how someone always finds a way to hit the top of the budget when you list it. Did I read their website right - a shell cordovan strap and a suede strap comes with each watch?

I love those watches now. I also hate you now.

Now to convince my wife that its okay to spend $2,200 online for a watch...

I believe that it's either-or. Personally, I prefer the shell cordovan.

Edit: If you're willing to forgo the silver face, keepthetime.com has an anthracite Orion listed for $1800.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your going up to 2500, you can find a nice omega. that would better than your present ideas imo. either way, good luck!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider the Zeno Magellano.

It was my first decent watch, I got it when it was less than $500. Now I think it is around $600-700.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure that this forum has its share of Stowa and TAG fans, but as both ends of your price range, you can (in my opinion) do much better. On the lower end of your price range, lets say $500-850, you could go MIDO, Hamilton, or Seiko. MIDO even offers chronometer certified movements, sadly the lower end Seikos are not as accurate for the most part (Grand Seikos are another story). These are just some of the examples, MIDO and Hamilton have many permutations of these waters (small seconds, different indices, etc.)

MIDO Baroncelli and Hamilton Viewmatic:

Seiko Cocktail Time:

Now, on the upper end of your budget, you can get some really nice pieces. I would recommend you entertain the idea of pre-owned as many of the nicer brands (such as Rolex, IWC, Omega) can be had pre-owned in this range. Some great choices would be (depending on your desired size and aesthetic).

Baume & Mercier Classima and Longines Silver Arrow:

IWC Portofino and Grand Seiko Automatic:

Omega Deville Small Seconds:

You can probably get the Baume and Mercier and the Longines new for $1000-1500. The Omega you could also get new, but with discount it will be close to your upper limit.

Cylon

Reaction score
+1 for NOMOS or Omega

You can also get an older JLC Master Control or a Rolex Explorer for ~3k

Edit: Ok maybe closer to 4k for the JLC MC...but you may get lucky :)

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
In-house manufacture movement too. I like NOMOS a lot. Take a look at the new zurich colored dial offerings (not to mention the worldtimer)...

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Some options (some already mentioned).

Omega Small Seconds - preowned or discounted as this model is discontinued I believe.
Hamilton
Seiko
Longines (Master, Conquest Heritage or Flagship Heritage lines)
Frederique Constant
Nomos as posted early in the thread

When I was first learning about higher end watches I was advised there are a couple rules you should follow.
Rule #1. Do not buy Tag Heuer
Rule #2. Do not forget Rule #1

Last edited:

JTP1000

Reaction score
I think TAG has developed a reputation of being a lazy manufacturer. once you look past the marketing, there really isn't that much there.
A lot of watch buying (and really anything else on this forum) has to do with how much importance you assign to different characteristics. For me, mechanical over quartz, and in house over stock movement. I marvel at the engineering of a mechanical movement, and when a maker takes the time to develop something they can call their own I think that's special. Just my two cents.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score

Any particular reasoning behind this?

When they were simply Heuer in the 1960s and earlier they were a very respected brand and those vintage pieces today are still admired greatly and garner pretty high prices. Today they are very overpriced based on their quality.

Asthetically many are quite nice including the Carrera posted but their movement quality is basic and finishing merely average in virtually all of their offerings. That $1700+ Carrera is marginally if any better than a $500 Tissot Le Locle.

So they present one of the worst value for money options in the watch world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads