• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for mid-range suit recommendations

cfig

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been doing lots of reading here for a while and thought I'd post as I'm about to make a suit purchase and could use some help. Apologies if I've violated any protocol.

I'm getting married in a few weeks and am looking for a suit for my wedding. Our colors are gray and purple and I'll be wearing a white shirt with a purple tie and am planning on a charcoal suit. I'm slender with a bit of muscle (runner's build), about 5' 9" and usually wear a 38R or so. My day job is very casual so I don't know much about suiting and could use some recommendations.

I'd like to spend somewhere in the $700 range, the only negative is that I need to buy something within the next weeks or so I won't have time to go the eBay route. Any brand or fit recommendations are greatly appreciated, and I'm in Houston if anyone has specific store recommendations (I've been researching and have found a few highly rated menswear stores). I could also probably use a new pair of reasonably priced shoes (under $200) so any thoughts there or on specific dress shirts are also welcome.

Greatly appreciate any help, and I promise not to be a one and done poster
smile.gif

cfig

Reaction score
Thanks ed, I'll keep an eye out for those.

johnannemarie

Reaction score
You could look at Z zegna, as I think it's pretty cheap in the US.
Not fully canvassed, but you can pick up a bargain

cfig

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be sure to give those a look as well.

GBer

Reaction score
Maybe in you can get it in 2 weeks time. Give them a call and see.

Originally Posted by GBer
Brooks Brothers "Fall Wardrobe Event"

save $50 on $300 purchase

save $100 on $500 purchase

save $200 on $800 purchase

Code: FA10WWE

Good through Sept 22

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Brooks Brothers has a solid charcoal Black Fleece suit made in Italy by Caruso on sale for $950-$200 with coupon code FA10WWE.

There are also a few nice USA made nice BBBF suits that would be $600 with the coupon.

LINK

cfig

Reaction score
Appreciate the link but that would be cutting it too close for comfort, the arrival date is sort of a non-negotiable in this case
smile.gif
Went to the Galleria yesterday and hit a variety of department stores and boutiques, very little on sale that I found. Of things I tried on I preferred the fit of the Burberry two button and an Emporio Armani two button, Ralph Lauren Black Label was also nice but very pricey at retail (not the favorite brands of many on here, I realize). I may have to up the budget as there wasn't much available under $1000. Nordstom seemed to have a good selection of suits but they were closing as we got there, will be looking there on Thursday.

cfig

Reaction score
So I went to Ermenegildo Zegna and loved the suit I tried on but at 1995 retail it was a bit steep. Turns out the manager there used to manage the suit department at Nordstom, he recommended trying on a Z Zegna suit there and to ask for John.

I went to Nordstrom, found John and he was fantastic and got me fitted in a charcoal Z Zegna that was a really nice fit off the rack. Pants are actually just about perfect, jacket is being taken in a bit on the sides and sleeves are being shortened a bit. I did unfortunately pay retail because of time constraints, but I feel like I made a much better choice than the Armani I probably would've ended up in had I not done some research here.

Now to find a shirt and see if I can afford new shoes before the wedding
smile.gif
Any recommendations there are welcome.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here but for around 200 you could probably get a nice pair of AE's

I just ordered some black Park Avenue's myself.

cfig

Reaction score
That's exactly the sort of shoe I was looking at, I need to try to find something that's a bit flexible style-wise though as I'm not a regular suit wearer (I'm thinking maybe a monk strap).

Where'd you find some for 200? Most I've seen online and retail start at 295.

divitius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfig
That's exactly the sort of shoe I was looking at, I need to try to find something that's a bit flexible style-wise though as I'm not a regular suit wearer (I'm thinking maybe a monk strap).

Where'd you find some for 200? Most I've seen online and retail start at 295.

I just ordered these from Amazon for 125:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Probably undeclared seconds, but still...

amftx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfig
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on amazon.

Check Nordstrom Rack. They'll have Bruno Magli, AE, Magnanni, and maybe some Ferragamo or other shoes if you're lucky.

cfig

Reaction score
Thanks, I had looked at suits there (and found nothing) but I hadn't checked for shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads