• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for low profile quality dress/casual boots

harbor17

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a pair of low profile boots I can wear with nice jeans. I bought a pair of Allen Edmond Pattons but the toe is too boxy, I am looking for something more like the Dalton but without the brogueing. I am looking for more of a cap toe low profile boot, anyone have any advice?

Also are Thursday Boot Company quality boots or cheap?

Thanks,
Bryan

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Braid

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a pair of low profile boots I can wear with nice jeans. I bought a pair of Allen Edmond Pattons but the toe is too boxy, I am looking for something more like the Dalton but without the brogueing. I am looking for more of a cap toe low profile boot, anyone have any advice?

Also are Thursday Boot Company quality boots or cheap?

Thanks,
Bryan
I would go with chukka boots or with the Crockett and Jones Coniston, both seems to me quite low profile and not over stylized.

WSB17

Reaction score
Hi,

Depending on your budget and preferred style, there's myriad of options out there.
The C&J Coniston is a classic of course.

You can check the Lakeshore boot from Oak Street Bootmakers in Chicago:

They have excellent customer service, and easy return policy, so I'd recommend getting in touch with them to figure out your best last/fit.

Parkhurst (Made in NY, US) is another quality option, and they have similar styles:

I, myself, was not impressed at all with Thursday boots when I tried them in person, so if you're looking for a staple boot, I'd not take a gamble with Thursday boots.

harbor17

Reaction score
I would go with chukka boots or with the Crockett and Jones Coniston, both seems to me quite low profile and not over stylized.

thanks for the suggestion, I was just looking at the crocket and jones coniston and they are exactly what I am looking for. I live in US and wear 7.5 - 8 in Allen Edmond dress shoes depending on last, how do these size?

Thanks again.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion, I was just looking at the crocket and jones coniston and they are exactly what I am looking for. I live in US and wear 7.5 - 8 in Allen Edmond dress shoes depending on last, how do these size?

Thanks again.

the Coniston is on the 325 last which is a pretty generous fit, as say compared to something like the 348 last.
It’s always tricky with such exact conversions, but I’d say your regular US size should work. Keep in my Crockett & Jones are sized in UK sizes so make sure you check the conversion.

harbor17

Reaction score
Thanks, I just ordered the Coniston in tan, they are sending 2 pair in different sizes so I can get a proper fit. These boots look really nice, looking forward to receiving them. How do they compare to an Allen Edmonds boot in terms of quality?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just ordered the Coniston in tan, they are sending 2 pair in different sizes so I can get a proper fit. These boots look really nice, looking forward to receiving them. How do they compare to an Allen Edmonds boot in terms of quality?
Night and day. You will be happy it's a very solid boot. I made a YouTube video about it if you want the link.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great choice. Miles ahead of Allen Edmonds in quality. I beat the heck out of my Conistons and they look great after a wipe down. No polish or conditioner two winters and many pouring rain days on.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden has some beautiful boots. I would recommend taking a look at the James, named for @audog because he is a shoe demi-god.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden has some beautiful boots. I would recommend taking a look at the James, named for @audog because he is a shoe demi-god.

Thank you, but not deserved....there are many more here more deserving of Alden Demi-god status :). Oh, I'd look at the James boot (Ealdwine Raleigh) as well, nice boot it is.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, but not deserved....there are many more here more deserving of Alden Demi-god status :). Oh, I'd look at the James boot (Ealdwine Raleigh) as well, nice boot it is.

You have a shoe named after you. Definitely demi-god status. It is my aspiration now, but if it is named James, it'll be confusing! Lol

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a good looking boot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads