• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for love on all the right Web sites? (lies about age and appearance)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's kind of the opposite of what I expected - that people lie about height and weight more than age.

I mean, many people could say they're a few years younger and get away with it, but height and weight? It should be pretty obvious. Unless you never go out of the house without first putting on your girdle and elevator shoes.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Using search options, women screen on height and other physical qualities. Generally, if not always, men lack the option of screening on weight specifically, but lying about weight probably means lying about body type. It's hard to imagine lies of more than a few inches or pounds working in person, but such is the desperation to get to that stage. If people knew how to style themselves
sly.gif

vanity

Reaction score
I've never met anyone in real life who didn't match their online profile or pictures. And I've stabbed at least 20 internet sluts.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
And I've stabbed at least 20 internet sluts.

I certainly hope you are speaking euphemistically.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what?
Stabbed. You mean that you assaulted them with a knife or you had sex with them? The later, I assume...and hope.

ts4them

Reaction score
I've never met anyone in real life who didn't match their online profile or pictures. And I've stabbed at least 20 internet sluts.
What did you stab them with, your #2 pencil?
crackup[1].gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
personal experience - everything on the internet - women, clothes, whatever - looks like its worst advertised picture.

vanity

Reaction score
Oh ya, I didn't really stab them with a knife, I slept with them.

I'm wondering if the fake picture/profile fears of years ago are still warranted. It's common sense that if you fake your information to generate interest, eventually you're going to want to meet someone who talks to you...and then what? You meet up and tell them you've been a liar the entire time? Your self-esteem and worth is so low that you feel it necessary to trick others into speaking to you?

I've yet to hear "Ya, most of their profile was a lie and it was a fake picture, but they were really cool anyway so I wasn't bothered." Even the chunky/ugly women should see this is a fruitless endeavor. Do they really want a man who thinks they're getting a 120lb hotbody, or do they want a man who can appreciate what they actually have to offer? Some men specifically look for those qualities and beauty is always subjective.

Lying about age probably isn't so bad, but things like criminal history, occupation (or lack of), body-type, drug habits, "I never learned to drive" which really becomes; "I've had 3 DUIs and have no license now"....the truth on that will come out quick. You might as well be forthcoming from the get-go. If nothing else, there's a similar pathetic loser to match your already tainted profile.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
beauty is always subjective.
Um, demonstrably not so.

The study is new. There is no reason to doubt it. There are many anecdotal reports of lying on dating sites, even about marital status. It is possible that dishonesty is more rampant on some websites than others and among certain demographic groups. Perhaps some people are good at screening out liars before it's time for a real-world meeting. Also, the study's definition of a lie is broad enough to include things that probably wouldn't be noticed in person, such as a man being 5'11" instead of 6 feet tall. (But even if it seems harmless, there are good reasons not to tell such lies.)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This doesn't concern us anyway. Aside from vanity, we're all cool enough that we'd never have to resort to picking-up chicks on the net!
devil.gif
nest.gif
peepwall[1].gif

Lester56

Reaction score
LOL, oh this thread could go on and on.....my experience is that women post pictures of themselves in college and when you meet them you wonder why your date sent her mom.

I've witnessed a profile on match.com (yeah forgive me) where the woman pictured was at LEAST 55 and her profile said 39. I nearly peed myself laughing.

Other experiences are that the majority of women are timid online and try everything in the world to exclude you before you actually meet. Avoid phone calls and try to get a date for 'coffee'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads