1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Looking For Leather Experts: Coach "Sport Calf"

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fauxtog, May 14, 2019 at 11:41 AM.

1. fauxtog

fauxtog New Member

I have a question for the leather experts here. I generally only buy vegetable-tanned leather bags, and most of my bags are from lesser-known, smaller brands. I was at the Coach store, though, and saw a Coach Bleecker backpack (Style No. 86929) in the dark saddle color. I loved the style and the feel of the leather, but I couldn't get an answer (either at the store or online) about whether the leather was vegetable-tanned or chrome-tanned.

They call the leather "Sport Calf." When I contacted them online to find out, the person helping wasn't sure which type of tanning was used for it, and this was as much as she could tell me:

I don't know if this helps, but it's super-supple leather -- like a very soft glove -- with a light shine (but definitely not glossy). There's a mild waxy and/or oily feel when you press and rub your fingers into it. It has markings, and is definitely not perfectly uniform in color or pattern across the surface, and especially from panel to panel.

Additionally, for anyone who's owned anything made of Coach "Sport Calf," if you could offer some words about how it's held up (and how it's aged) over time, I would certainly appreciate it.