• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for late 1960s "hard mod" photos.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am aware that this post is largely a carbon copy of my entry in the "Introduce yourself" thread, but I wanted to post it in a more context-specific forum.

I am trying to collect photographs from 1967, 1968, 1969 of "hard mods" (call them "totters" or "skinheads" if you like, but in the case of the latter I mean the original skinheads from the late 1960s, not the largely racist imitators of following decades) for a web-site I am constructing. I am particularly, but not exclusively interested in photos from London, and in both male and female subjects, so "mohair girls" too please.

I was around at the time, and still as (now) a middle-aged bloke, feel comfortable in a Ben Sherman shirt, brogues, and a Harrington. (I know, I know - bloody pathetic! LOL).

I am purely interested in the style, not in arguments about racism, football violence, etc.

In the late 1960s I lived in SE London, bought records from a West Indian shop in Deptford High Street, and danced at the Savoy Rooms in Catford. I bought my brogues from the Squire Shop, which was up West, and I had the whole outfit - Sta-prest strides, Ben Sherman shirts, V-neck sweaters in Burgundy wool, the total Monty.

I feel that this fashion niche is poorly-covered on the internet, and I hope to do something about it. All the sites I have seen so far have misleading information that doesn't tally with my memory. I hope to do better.

I imagine this forum allows PMs, so please feel free to get in touch; but please remember - I'm after info, not aggro.

Thank you.
smile.gif

M-o-M

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get smart has a good thread about this somewhere around here

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm surprised you're trying here for that stuff when there are loads of skin forums with a community for these photos.

I have found those sites to be largely ill-informed - not intentionally, but because they are generally not run by people who were around at the time. The photos I have found have largely been of post-punk "skinhead revival" subjects, which is not what I am looking for.

This forum, being on general fashion, seems to me to be a much better place to look.

M-o-M

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't help with what you are looking for, but wish you well with your project and look forward to seeing your site when you are done!
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I can't help with what you are looking for, but wish you well with your project and look forward to seeing your site when you are done!
smile.gif

Thank you. It will probably end up as a single -page on a multi-subject web site, but you never know.

I must look out all my own photos, which I think are in the attic somewhere.

smile.gif

M-o-M

originalskin

Reaction score
I am compiling a document with all the clothes that I used to wear or aspire to when I was 16-17 ish. It is vert much a work in progress. The interesting thing is that most of the clothes are still around. Everytime I surf for pitures of late 60's skinhead era I get images of " the knee high DM with bleached jeans and tattos look". I started the document to attempt re-educating those that still think of the original 60's skinhead as a thug.

As am also fairly new to this site I am not sure I can attach a document of this size, me email is [email protected].

Send me an email and I will attach my document.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by originalskin
I am compiling a document with all the clothes that I used to wear or aspire to when I was 16-17 ish. It is vert much a work in progress. The interesting thing is that most of the clothes are still around. Everytime I surf for pitures of late 60's skinhead era I get images of " the knee high DM with bleached jeans and tattos look". I started the document to attempt re-educating those that still think of the original 60's skinhead as a thug.

As am also fairly new to this site I am not sure I can attach a document of this size, me email is [email protected].

Send me an email and I will attach my document.

Stand by for a PM
smile.gif

M-o-M

chroMe

Reaction score
i'm sure it was one of your first port of calls, but some uk scooter forums may be of help. Or maybe the Ace Cafe have a website forum portal.

pitboss12

Reaction score
There's a book called My Favourite Shirt: A history of Ben Sherman Style. It would have a bunch of the photos that you're looking for.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
There's a book called My Favourite Shirt: A history of Ben Sherman Style. It would have a bunch of the photos that you're looking for.

Thank you. Any idea of the author?

M-o-M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads