• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for jacket fabric suggestions

gusvs

Reaction score
I am about to order a jacket in a fabric similar to this (not me in the picture). I am thinking to get a quarter lined jacket to use in fall, winter & spring (I like the softness of unlined jackets). Does anyone have any specific recommendations on fabric maker/book for a navy windowpane? My tailor has H&S, Harrisons, Drapers, Dormeuil and Edwin Woodhouse.

287992074_Bka83-O.jpg

braised

Reaction score
Moonbeam is getting great reviews. Edwin DeBoise at Steed has made several jackets with the stuff and is a believer in its qualities. The cloth is lambswool which is hard wearing despite the soft hand. There are a number of blue colorways.

B

gusvs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess the Angora (20%) is mixed in to add softness?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's me in the photograph. The fabric is a hard finished Carlo Barbera fresco...I'm going to guess around 10oz...something intermediate between the usual English frescos.

The hand of the fabric is not soft at all.

In terms of construction, that jacket is half-lined.

I hope that is helpful.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Moonbeam is getting great reviews. Edwin DeBoise at Steed has made several jackets with the stuff and is a believer in its qualities. The cloth is lambswool which is hard wearing despite the soft hand. There are a number of blue colorways.

B

Yes, he does love Moonbeam.

- B

gusvs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That's me in the photograph. The fabric is a hard finished Carlo Barbera fresco...I'm going to guess around 10oz...something intermediate between the usual English frescos.

The hand of the fabric is not soft at all.

In terms of construction, that jacket is half-lined.

I hope that is helpful.

- B

Thanks, it is very helpful indeed (and thanks for the picture!). How does the unlined part of the jacket work out, will it stick to the shirt for example?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gusvs
Thanks, it is very helpful indeed (and thanks for the picture!). How does the unlined part of the jacket work out, will it stick to the shirt for example?

You're welcome. The fabric doesn't stick in warm weather. I attribute this to the hard finish and the relative weight of the fabric.

- B

The Doctor

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads