• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for high quality no-name fashion brands

leodevlin

Reaction score
Hi All,
I really like trendy , high quality mens clothing but unfortunately and to my knowledge the only place where you can find this combination are the big name brands such as Tom ford, Gucci etc. Since these brands are also pretentious and way too expensive for the value they provide, I would like to find some micro-brands which offer the same styling and quality but for less money.

Could someone please recommend any brands which fulfill this criteria ? It is preferred that they do the manufacturing in europe or North America if possible.

Thank you,
Leo

BPL Esq

Reaction score
What kind of clothing are you looking for?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big name brands such as Tom ford, Gucci etc. Since these brands are also pretentious and way too expensive for the value they provide

really? What other brands are pretentious. Sounds like sour grapes as you simply can’t afford them.

So what about Tom Ford is pretentious? I think you’ll find many here who would Tom Ford’s quality and value are quite good.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Normally don't like posting links to things I've written, as it seems gross and self-promotional. But it's easier for me to drop this link than re-write all the content in here. I wrote a series about brands that I think offer a lot of value. You might find the series useful.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally don't like posting links to things I've written, as it seems gross and self-promotional. But it's easier for me to drop this link than re-write all the content in here. I wrote a series about brands that I think offer a lot of value. You might find the series useful.

Those were really good pieces. I remember when they ran last year.

Panama

Reaction score
John Smedley, Sunspel, Smyth and Gibson all produce in the UK.

928S4

Reaction score
Well, there's nothing trendy about me. I just wear regular suits I find here and there. Some are pretty expensive and, I think, worth the money. I still haven't quite gotten used to it though, that people of apparent good taste seem to agree that I look best in Joseph Abboud made in America suits that haunt Men's Wearhouse and Joseph A. Bank. I think they're on sale now for something like $119. No, I don't understand it, either...

leodevlin

Reaction score
really? What other brands are pretentious. Sounds like sour grapes as you simply can’t afford them.

So what about Tom Ford is pretentious? I think you’ll find many here who would Tom Ford’s quality and value are quite good.
Sorry , I did not mean to offend anyone. I live in Vancouver , Canada where you often see drug dealers, young asian kids and nuvo-rich people being in designer outfits head to toe. It's almost a uniform of the rich to signal that they have money and not so much about fashion any more. Tom Ford wasn't probably the best example, but Gucci, Prada and LV certainly are.

leodevlin

Reaction score

Thank you, that was very informative.

Panama

Reaction score
Thank you, John Smedley has the stuff I like but it seems they are not that much cheaper than other name brands.
Check out the John Smedley Outlet website. A current discount code is 15for15 for 15% off.

A long sleeved Merino wool Polo will set you back £50.00 with the above code. I am sure they do international shipping.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Thank you, John Smedley has the stuff I like but it seems they are not that much cheaper than other name brands.

John Smedley runs some pretty good discounts about 4 times a year, so you can pick up pieces of the outgoing collection (currently some spring/summer pieces, I believe). If you're buying off-the-rack and want to keep the pieces somewhat reasonable, timing the sales can make your life a lot easier. And @Panama is correct, they do international shipping, thought I don't know exactly how much they would charge (when I bought from them it was still within the EU).

I would also suggest you look at Luca Faloni if you're looking for knitwear in the high quality/medium cost segment: they usually don't run sales, but the prices are quite reasonable for good quality cashmere. Their pieces are rather basic (not very fashion-sensitive) but that means they usually go well with the more distinct pieces in your wardrobe.

Panama

Reaction score
John Henric markets great products.. They are based in Denmark. Falconeri from Italy is good quality mid tier knitwear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads