1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for help with Metropolitan Opera seats

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Jul 30, 2007.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I have been the to the Met only once, in ridiculously good orchestra seats that someone I knew could not use. I'm looking to get some tickets for this coming season, but budgets being budgets, blah blah blah. I can't afford where I sat, not by a long shot, and want to see as much as possible in reasonably acceptable seats. Anyway, is there a tremendously noticeable difference between the "Family Circle Front" and "Balcony" or "Orchestra Rear" seats? Are we talking Kenneth Cole to Loake here, or C&J, or what? Also, how are the "Family Circle Front" seats? Awful and insufferable? Sufferably bad? Not good but the performance is still enjoyable? A deal? I know there are some met-frequenters here and your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Any input opera fans? Other options include Balcony, Dress Circle, or Grand Tier Boxes (all partial view).

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Acoustically, I was very surprised how well I could hear everything up in the balcony (seeing however, is another thing entirely).

koji

4. WSW

WSW Senior member

As a NY Philharmonic fan, I can say that the closer you are to the front, the better. So I would prefer First Tier Box to orchestra rear, even though there is a slight unbalance in sound. Since visuals are also important, I would say that it is harder to see from the Orchestra rear than from a First or Second Tier box or whatever the equivalent would be at the Met.

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I saw The National Chorale perform Beethoven's 9th a few months ago and sat in the 3rd row. I would have much rather sat in the front orchestra boxes and look down and see everything rather than up at the conductor and front 4 singers.

6. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Get Grand Tier or Dress Circle. I woundn't recommend side boxes. I second Koji that Balcony has awesome accoustic, I think it has something to do with the sound bouncing off the ceiling directly at you.

7. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get Grand Tier or Dress Circle. I woundn't recommend side boxes. I second Koji that Balcony has awesome accoustic, I think it has something to do with the sound bouncing off the ceiling directly at you.

Agreed. Orchestra is my least favorite place to sit.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

We should sue these companies for calling the location Dress Circle and yet where is the dress? Orphaned tuxedo jackets with brown belts dress? I think not.

Family Circle sounds like an adventure.

9. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Member

Don't know about Family circle, but it would seem balcony offers the best value. Remember, both the Met and City Opera offer discounts on subscriptions, and prices are lower on weeknight performances.

10. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Jamison-

The audio is really very nice in Family Circle. I bring binoculars for close up views of particular singers. Even if I could afford it, I would prefer not to be in the Orchestra since the higher levels give a more panaromic view.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks, everyone. I put in for family circle front with some others as backup. Dress circle would be great, but at four times the price, it's not an option right now.

12. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Thanks, everyone. I put in for family circle front with some others as backup. Dress circle would be great, but at four times the price, it's not an option right now.

Did you get season tickets?

koji

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Did you get season tickets?

koji

Yep, though I haven't had my seats assigned yet. 8 operas over eight months.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Yep, though I haven't had my seats assigned yet. 8 operas over eight months.

Wow, I'm VERY jealous--enjoy the performances!

koji

15. mbell

mbell Senior member

Thread revival to ask more questions. I will be in NYC Thanksgiving weekend and would like to see Tristan und Isolde at the Met. I would likely be content with the balcony since I am more interested in sound quality, but the other people I am with will be more interested in sight lines. What is the difference from a visual standpoint between the dress circle and the balcony? So far it looks like I can get 3rd or 4th row in either section.

And since it is a 5 hour opera, is there any legroom/comfort difference between those two sections? Some halls I have been in the leg room gets smaller in the cheaper seats.

thanks much

mike

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Im trying to work in a performance of Salome this winter. I hear the costuming is fantastic. For that, I shall try to sit close. [​IMG]

17. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Thread revival to ask more questions. I will be in NYC Thanksgiving weekend and would like to see Tristan und Isolde at the Met. I would likely be content with the balcony since I am more interested in sound quality, but the other people I am with will be more interested in sight lines. What is the difference from a visual standpoint between the dress circle and the balcony? So far it looks like I can get 3rd or 4th row in either section.

And since it is a 5 hour opera, is there any legroom/comfort difference between those two sections? Some halls I have been in the leg room gets smaller in the cheaper seats.

thanks much

mike

Go for the Dress Circle, especially for a 5 hour performance. Legroom at the Met is pretty good, there's no difference between the 2 sections. As a reference legroom at the Met is betten than Carnegie Hall, Covent Garden, Wien Staatoper, and on par with Opera Bastille but less generous than State Theater across the plaza.

18. mbell

mbell Senior member

Go for the Dress Circle, especially for a 5 hour performance. Legroom at the Met is pretty good, there's no difference between the 2 sections. As a reference legroom at the Met is betten than Carnegie Hall, Covent Garden, Wien Staatoper, and on par with Opera Bastille but less generous than State Theater across the plaza.

Thanks for the info. I've unfortunately never had the pleasure of attending any of the venues you mention. Hopefully some day. I probably will go for the dress circle. I just wish is was not $40 more than the balcony. I still need to check with the other people I am going with.

mike

19. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

we usually just show up at the met and purchase tickets at a discount from people with extras. However we want to see something on our anniversary so I'm mulling over best places to sit. Here are some choices:

front orchestra - $175/ticket
    grand tier rear sides - $175/ticket
    back of dress circle - $150/ticket

thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  20. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Back of dress circle, IMO, but your date might find the front orchestra seat kind of posh...