• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good shoes at today's Obama speech

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any U.S. politician caught out purchasing a pair of shoes costing $200 or over can be pilloried in the press. Doesn't matter where they're made or who by.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Any U.S. politician caught out purchasing a pair of shoes costing $200 or over can be pilloried in the press. Doesn't matter where they're made or who by.
Hard to believe people will pay that much for shoes
wink.gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
I believe Bush has a few pairs of allen edmonds in his arsenal, based on the pictures on display in two the dallas AE retail stores
I know for a fact Sen. Feingold wears Allen Edmonds also. While interning at his office I handled a call from the local AE store letting him know his recrafted shoes were ready for pickup.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
I know for a fact Sen. Feingold wears Allen Edmonds also. While interning at his office I handled a call from the local AE store letting him know his recrafted shoes were ready for pickup.

That is very cool.

bryce330

Reaction score
Yes, but it's almost certainly because he is from Wisconsin (home of AE) rather than because he possesses any particular sartorial knowledge or style.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
Yes, but it's almost certainly because he is from Wisconsin (home of AE) rather than because he possesses any particular sartorial knowledge or style.

Isn't that rather a leaping assertion?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
Isn't that rather a leaping assertion?
That's kinda what we do around here.
You'll get used to it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

Do you guys agree with this? Seems like I would expect a president to have at least $300 shoes and $800 suits. I would also expect that these would mainly be gifts from the companies who made the items, or gifts from other individuals (I remember hearing that Clinton received ties as gifts averaging more than 1 per day).

I don't think you wanna know how much Cindy McCain's clothes cost.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
That's kinda what we do around here.
You'll get used to it.

HAHAHAHA
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

loiclac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
I believe Bush has a few pairs of allen edmonds in his arsenal, based on the pictures on display in two the dallas AE retail stores

We had stories in France that Sarkozy like the same italian shoes as Bush. I guess they are wearing todd's.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I shouldn't imagine Truman's clothing was anything of the budget variety.

As well, I would have expected a lot of athletic shoes given the (young) demographic of Obama's followers.

Apparently the French politicians used to have costly taste--just look at the recent Tajan auction for Mitterand's possessions.

America has this slightly perverse notion that politicians shouldn't be too uppity otherwise they would be reviled as elitist, corrupt or vainglorious.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
America has this slightly perverse notion that politicians shouldn't be too uppity otherwise they would be reviled as elitist, corrupt or vainglorious.

Yes (somewhat unfortunately). However, this can be reflected in other mediums outside of clothing... At the end of the day I wish character is what the American public really cared about, though this is usually lost in the hoopla of it all.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Yes (somewhat unfortunately). However, this can be reflected in other mediums outside of clothing...
... such as $400.00 haircuts.

Josef Seibel

Reaction score
24.07.2008: berlin is girding itself for up to a MILLION spectators. people are arriving from all over europe to hear Obama speak. lets see, if he will stir some memories of jfk.

obamacr3.jpg

the "siegessäule" a 70 metre high column built to celebrate 19th century prussian military victories over france and austria.

obama1re3.jpg

the reichstag

obama5rb5.jpg

obama6so3.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sherwin
A few months ago Fred Thompson was lambasted for wearing Gucci loafers to a campaign event ... I think politicians can only wear nice American brands and get away with it

Many wore JM, back when JM made top quality high-end shoes. Today, only lobbyist can get away with wearing $1000 shoes?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads