• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good mid-range tailor in Hongkong

choi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a 22-year old student from germany, who will be visiting Hongkong from Tuesday to Saturday next week (5 complete days: July 22nd - July 26th).

I'd like to have a suit tailored there, but I need to open a new thread as everyone's recommendation "WW Chan" is definitely too expensive for me.
wink.gif

I am looking for a good mid-range tailor, more precisely for the best value-for-money tailor in Hongkong.
My budget for the whole suit (2 parts, jacket and trousers) is maximum 3500 HKD because its one of my first suits and I don't have that much money. [Also, I don't need fabrics like super 140s I think
smile.gif
]

Nevertheless, I want to be really happy about the suit afterwards and don't want to waist my money. If a good (not perfect, high-end) suit can't be made for 3500 HKD, I'd rather spend my money on other things than on a bad suit.

So, which tailor do you recommend for such a suit?

I already read several positive opinions about Ash Samtani and Pacific Custom Tailors and many bad ones about Sam. [what is pretty weird, as Sam's family also ownes Pacific Custom Tailors]

What do you think?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Choi

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go to a mid-range tailor for whom I did not have firsthand knowledge of his capabilities because too many HK tailors make super-fused junk. The only lower-priced tailor from whom I've seen anything remotely wearable was Jantzen and that was only trousers, not a jacket. I'd suggest either not buying a suit or saving for the Chan/Yao/Yu/Baroman suit as almost anything less is likely to be ill-fitting and/or poorly constructed.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
My friend had two suits made at Jantzen, he was quite happy w/ them. Good turnaround times, nice attention to detail during the fittings. I'd go to Jantzen if for no other reason than to have your measurements on file. Nothing like being able to buy perfect fitting shirts online for ~$40 each.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do believe the sale season has already started in Hong Kong. Maybe you could find yourself a nice OTR suit on the cheap.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's much in the way of OTR bargains in HK. Designer stuff there is really expensie and everything else that I've seen was essentially low-quality fused junk. There didn't appear to be much of a mid-range of quality or price in OTR men's clothing.

kay

Reaction score
HI There if you look for a good tailor i would recommend Manning Company who runs the family business and very nice peoples.
I have been doing business with they for nearly 6 years and very happy with the quality and the finish products,they have a large reange of fabric where you can choose from. I think you should try them out and their price are very reasonable they not too ***** and very helful .They kn ow what they talking about the cuts, fabric and etc.They are located at shop15E, G/FL, Pak On BLdg, 105 Austin Road, Kowloon,Hongkong .
their website is: www.manningcompany.com you will gt more information for there.Good luck.

temporaryachilles

Reaction score
Kay - are you connected with Manning Co.? It looks like you registered yesterday and in the space of 12 minutes posted three times to endorse Manning in threads that were a bit stale...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEb site does not loook that sparkling at all.

Originally Posted by kay
HI There if you look for a good tailor i would recommend Manning Company who runs the family business and very nice peoples.
I have been doing business with they for nearly 6 years and very happy with the quality and the finish products,they have a large reange of fabric where you can choose from. I think you should try them out and their price are very reasonable they not too ***** and very helful .They kn ow what they talking about the cuts, fabric and etc.They are located at shop15E, G/FL, Pak On BLdg, 105 Austin Road, Kowloon,Hongkong .
their website is: www.manningcompany.com you will gt more information for there.Good luck.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kay

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
Said it before & I'll say it again....

Ash Samtani, on Nathan Road in the Burlington Arcade in Kowloon might be a good bet. He's a mid-range tailor who did a lovely suit for me. His quality for a first suit in my humble opinion is perfectly good. Moreover, he and his son Luke are very polite and welcoming.

supercarl

Reaction score
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
Originally Posted by kay

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
An addition.

My experience of Sam was awful. He is an arrogant man, all until he knows you are about to leave his shop. Then once he knows he's about to lose a sale, miraculously, he suddenly wants to help. I asked him to show me some of his work - suits, but still he wouldn't! By that point I knew what I thought of him, and went a few doors town to try Ash. He was a true gentleman.

You mention Pacific. Yes they are the same family. Thankfully Sam isn't in the shop, at least I never saw him there. Which can only be a good thing.

I only bought ties from Pacific, but their staff were all tremendously helpful and incredibly polite and attentive. I liked them a lot. Their place is easy to find on the Island too.

Bad thing about Sam's is his crap advice, even when he can be bothered to give it, and also his tiny swatches. You can't make great decisions from material swatches that small in my opinion. That might also happen at Pacific, I don't know though, as I didn't get a suit made there. Whereas at Ash's, he'll have the entire fabric out for you - it's way better, and he has an exceptional eye for colours too.

That said, Pacific were very good for me, and I would have considered a suit from them had I been buying more than one. Hope this helps.

As an aside. Avoid Raja fashions in Kowloon like the plague. It's like the Indian mafia... they;re all over you like a rash, their service is as pushy as anything. And their suits are abysmal. I took a look at several and was horrified at the quality. For a place that is supposed to be mid-range, or so I've heard, their work is shocking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads