• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for good dress shirts

jerbear470

Reaction score
Hey all!

I’m new to the forums and fashion in general, and I’m very happy to be here! I’ve been working real hard to improve my casual style for the last year or two, and I’m looking more into classic formal menswear styling this year. I’m getting a black suit for Christmas, probably from Indochino or SuitSupply, and I’m looking for some quality dress shirts to go with it, preferably slim-fitted ones.

My budget is in about the $50-$100 range for good shirts that won’t cost an insane amount of money. I know Ledberry has their “essentials” for $98, and obviously, their quality is top of the notch, even for those cheaper shirts. You can get those standard colors like white and light blue at tons of good places, but I’m also looking for some more uncommon solid colors, namely, navy blue, dark red/maroon and dark purple (bit of an inspiration from Tom Ellis wearing those kinds of shirts with a black suit in Lucifer).

You can typically find those colors at lower-tier stores like Van Heusen, Calvin Klein, etc. However, I’ve noticed that for me, it’s hard to find those colors in a higher-quality shirt (navy blue is probably easy to find, but dark red and dark purple are notoriously hard to find).

Does anybody have any good recommendations on quality brands that offer these colors in that $50-$100 price point? Or just good recommendations in general?

I look forward to any advice you guys can give me and the chance to meet some new people! Thanks for any help!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Kamakura would be a good place to start.

pro’s: excellent fabrics and finishes and just about the best value in shirts that I’ve found. They have the basics covered and then some.

cons: sizing can be a bit wonky and their only B&M store is in NYC. Otherwise, you can order online. Not all styles are available in the needed size.

still, it’s my go to shirt as I have my fit pretty dialed in.

jerbear470

Reaction score
That you Phileas! They definitely have a wide range of shirts. Still a few colors missing that I'm interested in but still very nice. Is there a quality difference between their Tokyo Slim and their New York slim, or is the only difference where they are made?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a good looking Indochino suit before, I'd stay away.

Spier & Mackay has great shirts if their sizes fit you OTR.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Regis Philbin made dark shirts with dark suits popular in the early 2000s hosting Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He's dead you know. But there may still be a stash in his basement, if Cathy Lee didn't get there first. Check it out.

jerbear470

Reaction score
Thanks for recommendations on both ends FlyingHorker. What suit would you recommend instead?

Well, I guess we’re arranging a break-in then ?. But in all seriousness, I’m going to assume that recommendation was sarcasm and it means they don’t look good together. I think it’d still look interesting but to each their own.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for recommendations on both ends FlyingHorker. What suit would you recommend instead?

Well, I guess we’re arranging a break-in then ?. But in all seriousness, I’m going to assume that recommendation was sarcasm and it means they don’t look good together. I think it’d still look interesting but to each their own.
Just go to SuitSupply.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No problem man.

I would look into Suit Supply and Spier & Mackay for a suit.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I’m going to assume that recommendation was sarcasm and it means they don’t look good together. I think it’d still look interesting but to each their own.

Yeah I was wrong to say that. I meant Kelly Ripa, not Cathy Lee. You're 18, you'll look fine in dark shirts. I'm 75, I'd look like an asshole. I'm all tweeds and tattersalls and reek of smelling salts 'cause I pass out a lot. Good luck on the shirt thing. Don't pay a 100 for a single shirt though. Go low end, Kohls. Costco and the like because when you turn 19 you'll realize the terrible mistake you've made and you'll still have a pocket full of weed money.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That you Phileas! They definitely have a wide range of shirts. Still a few colors missing that I'm interested in but still very nice. Is there a quality difference between their Tokyo Slim and their New York slim, or is the only difference where they are made?

the main difference is the neck to sleeve length relationship. The sleeve lengths tend to be longer with the NY fit vs. Tokyo. New Yorkers have longer arms.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilditch and Key is still on sale. On sale a bit more expensive
than your range. Finer shirts than recommended above. They run full.
I wear their "contemporary cut" which is slimmer but still full enough
for my beefy build. I wear 44-46R jackets. However, altering shirts
is relatively inexpensive and doesn't require a tailoring genius.

jerbear470

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I guess I’ll go to SuitSupply to get the suit. Spier and McKay definitely looks like a good value, and Hilditch and Key definitely seems to be worth it even if it is a little expensive. Also seems like Wool and Prince might be a good option if some of their shirts come down.

I think I have a good idea of where I want to go for this. Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads