• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for excellent tailor to finish/alter suits in London

brokentelephone

Reaction score
As per the topic, bought some great suits recently two of which are unfinished and need some light alterations.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

brokentelephone

Reaction score
I did a search and found lots but thought I'd ask again in case there were some new people to talk to...

BAM BAM!

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in this too.
I found a tailor near me - he was in Hampstead - who did a decent job on a jacket I needed in a hurry, but he cost a fortune, so I am looking for another option.

perk252

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what was " a fortune"? I'm in Highgate, and need someone local. In a previous thread here Chris Ruocco in Kentish Town was mentioned. He quoted me approximately £45 to take in a jacket around the waist. I have no idea if this is good/bad/average in London, but I haven't got around to phoning anyone else. He does come recommended, though.

BTW, the thread is here, with lots of names:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=36200

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Went to Thomas Tailor today on Lexington St in Soho. Thomas was apparently in hospital so there was another chap by the name of Yussuf (or thereabouts) working.

I took in 4 suits -- each had pants hemmed, sleeves shortened, 2 had sleeve button holes installed, 1 had button's moved, one pair of pants let out at the waist, and 2 jackets were corrected in the upper back (not sure of the name of this procedure) and the total is £320 which I think is quite reasonable -- couldn't be much more expensive elsewhere but doesn't sound too bad when considering how many suits altered.

Also ran into a minor celeb there -- Martin Freeman who acts as Tim on The Office (UK). Took pictures with him and had quite a bit of fun trying to get the tailor to take pics using my iPhone.

perk252

Reaction score
Thanks for the info brokentelephone. You're right, that doesn't sound too bad at all, and that place has been recommended on here before.
Cool story about Martin Freeman, too. Sounds like a nice guy! There was an interview with him in the Evening Standard magazine about a month ago, and I seem to recall him saying one of his weaknesses was for nice clothes. I guess if the tailor's good enough for him they must be doing something right!

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
Interested in this too.
I found a tailor near me - he was in Hampstead - who did a decent job on a jacket I needed in a hurry, but he cost a fortune, so I am looking for another option.

There are definitely better and cheaper tailors than the one in Flask Walk, though he wasn't bad in a pinch either, the one time I tried him.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by perk252
Thanks for the info brokentelephone. You're right, that doesn't sound too bad at all, and that place has been recommended on here before.
Cool story about Martin Freeman, too. Sounds like a nice guy! There was an interview with him in the Evening Standard magazine about a month ago, and I seem to recall him saying one of his weaknesses was for nice clothes. I guess if the tailor's good enough for him they must be doing something right!

Judging by what he had altered I'd say 'nice clothes' is a very subjective term.

caldervale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokentelephone
Judging by what he had altered I'd say 'nice clothes' is a very subjective term.

When I lived in London I used a place called First Tailored Alterations on Lower Sloane Street, just south of Sloane Square. The work was absolutely first rate - I have never had a problem, the attention to detail is extraordinary and the service is fantastic. Tosca, the owner, is a trained pattern cutter and always marked up the changes to my clothes in person.

The downside? Expensive, and it can take a (very) long time for work to be completed. Sometimes several follow up calls are required to get things done, but I can assure you that it's worth the wait. If you are in a hurry to have something done, probably best to go somewhere else! They have some bad reviews online, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back:

85 Lower Sloane Street,
London SW1W 8DA
020 7730 1400

perk252

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokentelephone

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads