• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for constructive criticism

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a member of SF a while but never posted so this will be the first. But a short introduction. I'm 26 years old and I like classic menswear.

A few days ago I bought a new suit. Currently I can't afford (or justify) MTM, bespoke or any other custom suit so I went out and tried a few from Boss, Tiger of Sweden, Sand (Danish brand I think), Tommy Hilfiger, Van Gils etc. I went with the Tiger of Sweden as I liked it the best in style and fit.

Here'sa few images, I'mnot really looking for criticism regarding fit as the images aren't the best to judge that by, but more the color combinations between the suit, shirt and tie. Also, I'm a huge fan of the original Wall Street movie so I've always loved suspenders
smile.gif

suit1.jpg

suit2.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit4.jpg

suit5.jpg

So feel free to comment but be kind as I'm new to this
smile.gif

Regards, Jakob

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conservative but pretty well put together. On the last, some will fuss that the stripes on the tie and shirt are of too-similar scale.

HPress

Reaction score
You look good. Though I might fuss about the stripes on that shirt and tie being too-similar scale.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Photosgraphein
Hi all,

I've been a member of SF a while but never posted so this will be the first. But a short introduction. I'm 26 years old and I like classic menswear.

A few days ago I bought a new suit. Currently I can't afford (or justify) MTM, bespoke or any other custom suit so I went out and tried a few from Boss, Tiger of Sweden, Sand (Danish brand I think), Tommy Hilfiger, Van Gils etc. I went with the Tiger of Sweden as I liked it the best in style and fit.

Here'sa few images, I'mnot really looking for criticism regarding fit as the images aren't the best to judge that by, but more the color combinations between the suit, shirt and tie. Also, I'm a huge fan of the original Wall Street movie so I've always loved suspenders
smile.gif

suit1.jpg

suit2.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit4.jpg

suit5.jpg

So feel free to comment but be kind as I'm new to this
smile.gif

Regards, Jakob

Not bad...

I like the braces and the shirts...

Not crazy about the tie...

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
put together well my friend. But personally Im not a fan of the last pic...love the tie, love the shirt....but not together. thats just me though.

Reaction score
I'm with you guys on the last pic... The whole 'image' gets a bit too busy and confusing. Thanks for the comments
smile.gif
Appreciate it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try to dimple your tie; other than that you look pretty good. I like the second tie a lot, and you actually pull off braces pretty well (a lot of people look like a caricature when they wear them).

southbound35

Reaction score
Agree with the early concensus that it all works except for that last pic.

One thing I notice is that the braces seem to be "pulling" too much. It could be one of two things (or a combination of both).

1. You may have them adjusted too tight. Let them out a bit and see if they have a bit more play in them.
2. The brace buttons may be too close together.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You should try to dimple your tie;...

+1 on the dimple.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with everyone that it's pretty good, but I think some constructive criticism might be more useful than just saying "good job."

1. Sleeves could be a bit shorter
2. The width of the tie's stripes matches too closely to the shirt. You want some variation here in the width of stripes.
3. Tie hangs a bit too low. The tip should just touch the top of your belt
4. You could use a more interesting set of ties.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to see better pics TBH. If I could see a full body shot including back there's a lot more feedback that could happen. Just based on what I can see (which is very little to do with the actual suit's shape/fit) it's good.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Negatives:

Not a fan of the Gordon Gekko/Power broker look on anyone.
Also not a fan of suspenders on someone your age. It looks gimmicky to me, but to each his own
Those shower curtains have got to go

Positives:

Love the second tie
Love the fit of the suit and the jacket. Some might say it's too tight but it looks fantastic
In all five pictures you're dressed better than 99.9% of people your age (considering how poorly people in their twenties dress, that might not appear to be saying much, but it's a compliment nonetheless)

Stony32

Reaction score
You look good. Suspender buttons look and work better when spaced 4 inches apart.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Jakob except for the last pic the styling looks great. It appears you have a smaller frame which would work best for slim modern cut shirts and shorter sleeves. If it is off the rack perhaps you can get same neck size, shorter sleeve length. I know you're a classical type of guy; perhaps a small width on those tie would compliment you better, proportion wise. You chose the right collar spread for your face shape. Overall good job.

Some say suspender are only for the older gentleman. I politely disagree, it is a new trend for younger put together guys to wear suspenders. It looks great!

JensenH

Reaction score
Outfit looks good, hair on the other hand....

Reaction score
Thanks on all the comments. I not the person who sports the longest arms so it's difficult for me to find a shirt which fits my body and my arms. However, I will see if there are some tailors who can shorten the sleeves if thats even possible.

I'm only starting now to setup up my wardrobe regarding shirts and suits (before it was only polos and jeans) so I'm about to get a greater selection on ties and shirts. But good looking menswear is not something prioritized in Denmark compared to our neighbor countries. A small trip to London might be the solution
smile.gif

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. I will see if I can take some better photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads