• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Looking for comfortable and supportive dress shoes

JohnEnglish

Reaction score
I've got some problems with my feet and legs (
) and as a result I need to use orthopedic insoles in my shoes. I do a lot of walking around in my job and need comfortable and supportive dress shoes. I've always worn Rockports since they are very light, offer a lot of support, and they have removable insoles so I can use my orthopedic ones.

That said, I like to explore other options for dress shoes but my past experience with dress shoes hasn't been too pleasent. My feet often get sore, and my legs will cramp up after walking for a while if the shoes aren't supportive enough.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I'd be comfotable with spending upto $500 per pair although I'd ideally like to keep the cost under that. Does anyone have any suggestions as obrands or locations I could check out?

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Well, the staple recommendation around here for entry-level quality shoes are allen edmonds. I cannot remember which model it is, but from browsing their website recently I think I remember stumbling over a model that might be good for you. It's got rubber sole, while looking like leather sole, so it will wear hard while looking classy, and it's got a removable sole to fit orthopedics. I think it was an oxford, though don't quote me on that. Check out their website and see if you can find some models with removable soles.

I don't own any AEs myself, but as I said they are the standard recommendation around here so you should be allright with them.

pinchi22

Reaction score
I use the Pedag Viva orthopedic in all of my dress shoes (AE, C&J, Carmina, etc). It´s very supportive and works very well for my flat feet, though of course YMMV. It lifts the foot within the shoe, so make sure you try the shoe on with insert before buying (I´ve had to gently stretch certain lasts/models).

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.