1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for brown leather boot w/ low profile sole

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Style Noob, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Style Noob

Style Noob Member

I have spent a lot of time searching through this site and weeding through the BS in search for a pair of boots that fit what I have in mind.

I like the low profile sole of many chukkas out there (the Frye Manny Chukka is an example of one as well as the John Varvatos Chukka)

but more boot-like similar to a pair of red wings (Iron ranger) which are probably out of my target price but I like the look and the brand seems to be respected. [​IMG]

I'm looking for a casual boot, like most folks on here and would prefer something that doesn't break the bank. I have a fairly large size (13/14) so finding pre owned is typically tough. My shoe size and height (6'4") are why I'd prefer to keep it low profile. Thanks

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Wolverine original 1000 mile boot would be a good choice.

3. Style Noob

Style Noob Member

These are in the same price as the Red Wings. While similar in look, my question mostly revolved around affordability, not a search for a similar priced and similar looking boot. Sorry for the late response, I forgot I asked the question.

4. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

I have a project currently, stitching a single leather sole onto an old farm boot (knapp), the boots are cheap and worn but really quite comfortable, and vintaged.

Once I get the new sole stitched (I lack a stitch down machine), it should be quite low profile.

For off the shelf shoes, what's the price point you want to hit?

5. Style Noob

Style Noob Member

I want to bump this since I recently got a new job that will allow me to wear some casual boots and with chillier weather on the way, I'd like to try and pick up a nice pair of boots. Price point is under $150 preferable. Doesn't have to be top of the line since boot weather here is no more than 3-4 months, but I would prefer something decent. Thanks.

I know it isn't a high price for most members here. But spending $300 on boots while living in the desert is just not a good move IMO.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Style Noob

Style Noob Member

RECAP:

Wound up going this route. Have the brown 1000 mile and have had them 6-12mo. As someone who typically wears a 14 in athletic shoes, the 12 fit perfect for the Wolverines. Incredibly comfortable out of the box. No break in, no blisters. Glad to finally have cool weather here so I can wear them. My feat never hurt like my crappy dress shoes.

As someone who waited 1-2yrs to muster up the courage to spend the money necessary for these I recommend anyone on the fence to just buy them, your just delaying the inevitable.

One thing I am curious of is what is something good to have for maintenance? any special brush to help get scuffs out?

(I am back on here trolling for a casual Chukka, back in research mode)