• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for bespoke tailors

Amy85

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I’m looking to surprise my boyfriend with a custom suit, but I have no idea what to go with. Indochino looks good, although some sites say they’re making polyester suits. Anyone heard of Knot Standard? I like the refund guarantee they offer, but can’t anything on them anywhere – are they new? I can’t wait for a tailor to come measure him from overseas, so what online service is best?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a very sweet thing for you to do for your boyfriend! Unfortunately, nearly all online custom tailors aren't very good. I would like to steer you away from Indochino, since, as you have also heard, they're pretty bad. Where are you located? Perhaps some members here would be able to recommend a local tailor.

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amy85, the correct answer to your questions would require many other questions to first be asked of you/your boyfriend and it does not sound like you are looking for a very time intensive situation. My suggestion would be to look at something like JCrew, he and you will probably both be a lot happier. If at that point he wants to expand his knowledge of suit/suitmaking, he can spend time here but it's a long process and bespoke clothing is not cheap and there are no shortcuts such as online suit making.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Amy85, the correct answer to your questions would require many other questions to first be asked of you/your boyfriend and it does not sound like you are looking for a very time intensive situation. My suggestion would be to look at something like JCrew, he and you will probably both be a lot happier. If at that point he wants to expand his knowledge of suit/suitmaking, he can spend time here but it's a long process and bespoke clothing is not cheap and there are no shortcuts such as online suit making.

Come to think of it this is probably better advice. Unless your boyfriend is well-versed in custom tailoring. Then I'd say just get him a store credit at his tailor's establishment.

Last edited:

Amy85

Reaction score
That is a very sweet thing for you to do for your boyfriend! Unfortunately, nearly all online custom tailors aren't very good. I would like to steer you away from Indochino, since, as you have also heard, they're pretty bad. Where are you located? Perhaps some members here would be able to recommend a local tailor.

I currently reside in Dubai and as far as I know, tailored suits aren't very popular in this region. However, I've managed to come across a few online custom tailors who are based in Dubai. Of all, knot standard caught my eye - suits look pretty good, italian wool, 100% refund guarantee, and they're based in Dubai so that's easy delivery. I'm kind of leaning towards them but I'm not so sure because I haven't really heard of these guys until a few days ago. What do you think?

Amy85

Reaction score

Hey, thanks for the suggestion! Like mentioned in my last response, I live in Dubai and I don't think we have a JCrew branch here in the UAE. I'm kind of at a geographical disadvantage when it comes to finding an affordable yet QUALITY tailored suit, since it's not very popular in the region. People here usually go for high-end, off the rack, designer labels which are sometimes pricier in Dubai as compared to other countries. Any other recommendations I could use ?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indochino is MTM, not bespoke and quite unreliable. Your hope/expectation to rely on a money back guarantee says a great deal about your plans.

I hope that you are not going to try to give what you think are his measurements to a tailor and hope a decent suit will result - it will not. You would be better seeking out any local or visiting tailor and getting your boy friend to visit him at your expense.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
understand that a suit is a complex garment. imagine if your BF thought he'd buy you some jeans and sent in your measurements... they're both they type of items that many many need to be fitted on to find the perfect fit.

either try to find a local tailor, who'll probably end up doing made to measure anyway but at least there's someone locally who can fix it up once it arrives, or just go to a store and fit them all on.

as one of very few suits or for a guy who doesn't really know what he's doing, sending off measurements online and picking a fabric is a bad way to start. MTM/bespoke is a PROCESS, not a result. It has the potential to make for a better fit than off the rack but it takes several tries to finally get there...

Amy85

Reaction score
Indochino is MTM, not bespoke and quite unreliable. Your hope/expectation to rely on a money back guarantee says a great deal about your plans.

I hope that you are not going to try to give what you think are his measurements to a tailor and hope a decent suit will result - it will not. You would be better seeking out any local or visiting tailor and getting your boy friend to visit him at your expense.

Money back guarantee says a great deal about a business’s trust in the quality of its products and services – ‘Quality’ is what I rely on :)

As far as the suggestion - these guys are an American company based in Dubai, where I happen to be a resident, so they’re probably the best local tailors I can find. Spoke with one of knot standard agents on the website; said they'd be happy to take his measurements or simply get them directly off one of his suits, if I want it to be a surprise.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads