Looking for an appropriate 'Digestif' for after dinner

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Star, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Star

Star Senior member

Looking for a digestif for after dinner or a solid lunch. Looking for something on the sweeter side but not horribly sweet yet not horibbly bitter either. Would something like Amaretto be appropriate? I had it once after a plate of pasta in Berlin where the waitress took pitty on me having dinner by myself and gave me a serving on the house; and I can vaguely remember that it was not bad nor was the waitress.

I have no idea so I would like to hear some thoughts.

Would like to drink it in a shot size quantity or slightly more and neat.

Must be also appropriate for the fairer sex.

2. AThingForCashmere

AThingForCashmere Senior member

Looking for a digestif for after dinner or a solid lunch. Looking for something on the sweeter side but not horribly sweet yet not horibbly bitter either. Would something like Amaretto be appropriate? I had it once after a plate of pasta in Berlin where the waitress took pitty on me having dinner by myself and gave me a serving on the house; and I can vaguely remember that it was not bad nor was the waitress. I have no idea so I would like to hear some thoughts. Would like to drink it in a shot size quantity or slightly more and neat. Must be also appropriate for the fairer sex.
    Amaretto is a good choice. Crème de menthe on ice in a small glass has always been my favorite (it freshens the breath) but is too sweet for some people.

3. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

4. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

amaretto
    limoncello
    port wine
    or something like jaegermeister or another herbal liqueur

5. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

Campari - it's an acquired taste for some however

6. Dr. Shafty

Dr. Shafty New Member

If you like the taste of star anise/liquorice, you could go the Ouzo/Sambuca/Absinthe route. I think Absinthe is least pungent of the three I have had. I like a nice LBV Port or an Oloroso style Sherry, but a lot of people find them cloying.

The next time you are at a nice restaurant and are presented with the desert menu, ask to sample one of the Ports/Sherries/Muscats. If you don't like it you can always erase the memory with a nice Scotch.

7. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

Benedictine

8. why

why Senior member

I have a similar problem, but I'm looking for an appropriate digestif before dinner.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Since you said Digestif, I am ruling out the sweet wines, fortified wines like Port and Sherry etc.

You also need it on the sweeter side, and something a woman would enjoy without, say, a wide familiarity with spirits. Ok, here goes:

Benedictine -- spicy, herbal, and sweet. Mix with brandy to bring the sugar down for the classic B&B

Yellow Chartreuse -- herbal, herbal, herbal. Very sweet.

Absinthe/Pernod -- somewhat sweet and a little bitter, but incredibly intense anise/liqorice. You have to love that to love absinthe. Not appropriate after every meal

Grappa-based liqueur, such as Jacopo Poli 'Miele' -- this is a honey-based liqueur, but made from acacia honey. It is very sweet but not overboard, and has a little pineyness to it which is refreshing after a meal.

Grand Marnier or Maderine Napoleon: Cognac redistilled with oranges. Lovely after a meal, as the pith of the orange is noticeable above the sweetness. Grand Marnier is from oranges, Napoleon is from Tangerines. The 100th anniversary Grand Marnier Centenaire is especially delightful and was my choice to serve last night.

Campari, which has been suggested, is beloved by me, but rare, rare, is the woman who truly enjoys it. I've only met one, and rare she most certainly was. It tastes like grapefruit rind with sugar.

I would suggest for a Digestif that you want something with a little bitterness -- you need that after a meal. So I suggest the Grand Marnier or the Miele.

~ H

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I have a similar problem, but I'm looking for an appropriate digestif before dinner.
    Tango Negroni.

11. why

why Senior member

Tango Negroni.

[​IMG] It was a pretty subtle joke, I'll admit.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

[​IMG] It was a pretty subtle joke, I'll admit.
    Thanks. It was only half-a-joke, because for me that is a perfect recommendation, but I know you are not a fan. It's ok. Truly, though, what are you looking for? Something wine-based, a spirit, or a cocktail? I'm sure I can make a half-decent suggestion. ~ H

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Thanks. It was only half-a-joke, because for me that is a perfect recommendation, but I know you are not a fan. It's ok.

Truly, though, what are you looking for? Something wine-based, a spirit, or a cocktail? I'm sure I can make a half-decent suggestion.

~ H

I thought that the joke was that "after dinner digestif" was redundant. Before dinner it would be an apertif, right?

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I thought that the joke was that "after dinner digestif" was redundant. Before dinner it would be an apertif, right?
    Inside joke -- probably just why and I would know. Maybe Pio.

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Inside joke -- probably just why and I would know. Maybe Pio.

Ah...never mind then.